Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 3:32am by cakerookie8915

katibeth88 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 3

Okay... so I've been caking a couple of years now, but an only just now getting really comfortable with my work. I've been asked to make cookies inspired by Eric Carle's Brown Bear Brown Bear.... I am NOT confident in my ability to replicate those animals to the point of recognition... I mean... sure i can make a yellow duck or a blue horse but i just feel like they would look like random animals and I want the cookies to be something recognizable... I've looked into edible images and I may have to resort to that, but do any of you have any ideas of how i could incorporate the book and NOT have to spend days putting little details on animals?

2 replies
cakesrock Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 3

Why don't you do round cookies with edible images of the bear? Even if you don't have a machine, you can go to the grocery store and get several of them on the sheet. Or sometimes you can find them online.

cakerookie8915 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #3 of 3

One of the things that stands out to me from that book, is the look of the animals. They look as though they have been colored with a felt marker. Could you get that effect with your fondant? I think it's done by not kneading the color in completely-it looks varigated. Try and get the colors as close to the book as you can and use animal cookie cutters. Just a thought.
Kind of like the water in this picture:

Quote by @%username% on %date%