Daughter's 8Th Birthday Cake Is Destroyed~

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm by Angelfire3

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 25

Greetings all,
last night I posted about how my daughter's cake is leaning. I did the suggestions and she still came down. icon_mad.gif I even put some plastic dowel rods in it. I stepped away from it for a few minutes b/c I was fighting with my Cricut Cake mini (It won't load) and I got up, looked at the cake and THIS is what I found:

Lets just say, "The DEVIL IS A LIAR" I'm am too mad to do anything other than smile, go to the store for some cake mix and make her some cupcakes. I'll be damned if I'm going to bake her another cake when her party is today at 2pm.

BTW: My immediate response to this disaster was, "Anaya go get some forks" icon_wink.gif Hey, it's still edible. And it's sooooooooooooo good too.

24 replies
cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 25

So sorry this happened. But love your attitude icon_smile.gif As far as the cake did you use whipped cream base filling? or buttercream?? Maybe it was too much filling between the layers?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 25

i'm so sorry to hear that. I see a dowel you put in, did you put in a cake board also? How many dowels did you end up using?

just trying to help so hopefully a disaster like this can be avoided in the future.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 25

I'm so sorry that happened to you icon_cry.gif The cake looks delicious!
How many layers were there? I was taught to use a cake bd in between every 3 layers w/ a semi-thin filling in between. (with dowels) It adds support.
I hope your DD has a wonderful bday! You have handled this situation with a lot of grace icon_smile.gif

Melanie Mc.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 25

i,m sorry this happened also. yes, put it on a plate and serve that also. it does look delicious. Cupcakes sound nice also.

Angelfire3 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 25

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for the delayed response. I finally have a minute to myself. Well, we had a great time at the party. I had an HORRIBLE time with the cake up until 10 mins before the party. So, what I did was went to the store and bought some Duncan Hines cake mix so I could hurry up and make some cupcakes.

Well, needless to say the cupcakes were a big FAIL! They met the same fate as the cake did. I just know that I will never use Duncan Hines cake mix again. I did everything that I normally would and nothing came out right.

The cupcakes collapsed too. Yes! I usually use Pillsbury cake mix and I've never had this issue like this before. I always add instant pudding mix in the cake mixes for added moisture. But yesterday was just one of those days. I was so furious that I literally threw the cupcakes on the floor. To add insult to injury, I threw oranges too. Why? b/c they were the closest things to me to throw. My mother & her finance were just laughing at me as I threw my tantrum. Just thinking about these cakes makes me mad all over again.

So, what did the birthday girl eat? The 1st cake. I just cut the tail of it to neaten it a little bit and my friend cut everyone a slice of cake. I didn't get any. We ran out of it too. Everyone loved how it tasted. I was the only one unhappy with how it looked.

Let me backtrack. I threw the cupcakes on the floor b/c after they cooled off, I took my cake spatula to loosen them from the cupcake tray. As I was going around the edges, the top of the cupcakes lifted off. When I removed one of the cupcakes from the cupcake pan and tired to peel the liner off, the cupcake crumbled. So, I decided to put in back in the over for about 2 minutes. I thought that would help toughen them up. Well, after 2 mins, I started to smell burned food, so when I took them out the oven, I realized that the bottom was burned. So, that's why I threw them on the floor. I didn't have time to make her another batch. I was late to the skating rink.

Overall, we had a great time. But the cakes SUCKED! I'm a perfectionist, so you could just imagine what I was feeling.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 25

So so sorry! I am gearing up to enter the world of making our children's birthday cakes next month and it's my biggest fear that one day he's going to want something tricky and it fails.

BTW, I use Duncan Hines all the time with the WASC recipe and don't have a problem. BUT...any time I try to add pudding mix, it deflates in the center no matter what I do. Sometimes it's not too much and I'm able to level it off, but sometimes it's too much and I just throw the whole cake out. Needless to say, I'm prone to tantrums too when my caking goes bad.

Glad the first cake was still enjoyed!

Angelfire3 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 25

VABelle,
I would use the WASC recipe, but I have a child with severe life threatening tree nut & peanut allergies. So, I stay away from ALL nuts. If it has the word "nut" or part of the nut family, we stay away. So, the pudding mix was the problem with the Duncan Hines cakes? A lady at church some caramel coconut cake using Duncan Hines. It was really good, but very crumbly. I always, always, always add pudding mix to my cake mixes. Never, not once had this problem before.

Oh, well, better luck next time. Next time I'm going to stick with the tried and true AND make the cake/cupcakes a head of time. I just don't know how to wrap them well enough for them to freeze well. I have frozen butter cream & cakes before, but it left that freezer burn taste. Any suggestions? Oh, I'll attack some pics of my tantrum.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfire3

VABelle,
I would use the WASC recipe, but I have a child with severe life threatening tree nut & peanut allergies. So, I stay away from ALL nuts. If it has the word "nut" or part of the nut family, we stay away.

Just a little clarification, it's called 'white almond sour cream' but it doesn't have to have almond in it, its more of a flavoring preferance. I've made it with vanilla as the only flavor before and its come out just as good =D

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 25

hope your daughter didn't witness your temper tantrum! It's important to show children how to get thru bad times.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 25

I feel your pain. I attempted to make a ghrahm cracker cake (Macsmom) this weekend - FAIL - 3 times (6 rounds). I about lost it when the last batch was torted and still not cooked through.

Sorry to hear about your cake and cupcakes, I'm glad you were able to salvage the first cake enough to serve.

Double wrap tightly in plastic to freeze. Usually bake on Sat, then thaw on Ths. so they are only frozen for a few days. I use a food saver for BC.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 25

I haven't frozen buttercream, I usually cover the bowl in saran wrap first and then a lid(if the bowl has one...foil if it doesn't) . For cakes, I just make sure to wrap them with lots of saran/plastic wrap

Angelfire3 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #13 of 25

Greetings All,
Thanks for replying. I'm sorry I didn't answer some of your questions. I'm going down the line to make sure I respond to everyone individually.

cakesnglass, I didn't use whipped buttercream. I made cookies-n-cream buttercream using high ratio shortening, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, cookies-n-cream instant pudding mix (don't knock the pudding mix until you try it. I use is all of the time).

leily, I used only 1 dowel and no cardboard. I stuck the dowel in after someone suggested that I do. I know to do so next time.

cake_architect, thanks! I didn't know I can substitute the Almond extract. I will be trying out that recipe in the future.

Herekittykitty & Cupcakesnbuttercream, thank you so much for your suggestions. I will do them in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

hope your daughter didn't witness your temper tantrum! It's important to show children how to get thru bad times.

Yep, she sure did witness it. My mother did too. I don't feel bad about it either. I mean, there are worse things our kids witness us doing other than that. I had a bad day, and I showed it. I was PMSing, and I showed it. Considering how I always internalize my feelings, I deserve ONE day to express how I feel. And it wasn't 100% because of the cakes. So, yes, I showed my butt.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #14 of 25

Yep, she sure did witness it. My mother did too. I don't feel bad about it either. I mean, there are worse things our kids witness us doing other than that. I had a bad day, and I showed it. I was PMSing, and I showed it. Considering how I always internalize my feelings, I deserve ONE day to express how I feel. And it wasn't 100% because of the cakes. So, yes, I showed my butt.

I hope you have never cursed, argued, talked about people, picked your nose or used the bathroom without washing your hands, eating w/out saying your grace or saying/doing anything negative in front of YOUR kids. I mean, I wouldn't want them to pick up any of your bad habits, Right? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. For every 1 finger you point at me, 3 are pointing back at you.[/QUOTE]Amen sister!! Kids need to know their parents aren't always perfect. (at least I think so)

Amen Sister!!!! thumbs_up.gif I believe kids should know that us parents have their bad too and that we aren't always perfect. I loved your reply there! thumbs_up.gif Also I feel your pain of everything that could go wrong did, the same thing happend to me when I made my bf's wedding cake. All I can say about it is UGH!!!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:04am
post #15 of 25

First, I'm so sorry this happened. We've had bad cake days!! (Mine was when I dropped a hot red velvet cake ... any idea how long it takes to get the pink out of kitchen flooring? icon_lol.gif )

Quote:

I'm a perfectionist, so you could just imagine what I was feeling.

There's no such thing as a "perfectionist". Its an artificial standard that some people set for themselves that they can never achieve, thus setting themselves up for disappointment after disappointment.

Quote:

Considering how I always internalize my feelings, I deserve ONE day to express how I feel. And it wasn't 100% because of the cakes.

Internalizing emotions is not healthy. Its a "fake facade" of trying to look "perfect" to the outside world. It leads to an explosion of emotion rather than a healthy handling of and dealing with the issues the people face everyday.

Saying this with all kinds of love, caring and concern: Trying to achieve an impossible level of being "perfect", internalizing emotion, issues not "100% because of cake" ...... sounds like there are other issues that need resolved here.

Getting to the point where you are throwing things "b/c they were the closest things to me to throw" is a dangerous state to be in, especially if children are in the room (who can potentially become "the closest thing" to lash out at). NOT SAYING YOU HAVE DONE OR WOULD DO THIS!!!!! Just be aware of the potential danger when the efforts of trying to maintain the phony facade of being "perfect" gets to be too much to handle on "the ONE day" you need to express how you feel.

Its ok to express it every single day. Healthier for you .... better for everyone.

2ThreeKids is right .... kids need to know their parents aren't always perfect, but kids should never have to live in fear of the ONE day a parent might totally lose it.

LIttle fires are easier to put out than an inferno.

Again, all of this is said with love and concern, from someone who divorced a man with a severe violent temper, so I tend to see the flags faster and more clearly than most.

Angelfire3 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:51am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First, I'm so sorry this happened. We've had bad cake days!! (Mine was when I dropped a hot red velvet cake ... any idea how long it takes to get the pink out of kitchen flooring? icon_lol.gif )
Quote:

I'm a perfectionist, so you could just imagine what I was feeling.

There's no such thing as a "perfectionist". Its an artificial standard that some people set for themselves that they can never achieve, thus setting themselves up for disappointment after disappointment.
Quote:

Considering how I always internalize my feelings, I deserve ONE day to express how I feel. And it wasn't 100% because of the cakes.

Internalizing emotions is not healthy. Its a "fake facade" of trying to look "perfect" to the outside world. It leads to an explosion of emotion rather than a healthy handling of and dealing with the issues the people face everyday.

Saying this with all kinds of love, caring and concern: Trying to achieve an impossible level of being "perfect", internalizing emotion, issues not "100% because of cake" ...... sounds like there are other issues that need resolved here. Getting to the point where you are throwing things "b/c they were the closest things to me to throw" is a dangerous state to be in, especially if children are in the room (who can potentially become "the closest thing" to lash out at). NOT SAYING YOU HAVE DONE OR WOULD DO THIS!!!!! Just be aware of the potential danger when the efforts of trying to maintain the phony facade of being "perfect" gets to be too much to handle on "the ONE day" you need to express how you feel.

Its ok to express it every single day. Healthier for you .... better for everyone.

2ThreeKids is right .... kids need to know their parents aren't always perfect, but kids should never have to live in fear of the ONE day a parent might totally lose it.

LIttle fires are easier to put out than an inferno.

Again, all of this is said with love and concern, from someone who divorced a man with a severe violent temper, so I tend to see the flags faster and more clearly than most.

Thank you for showing love & concern. This reply will be in the same regard. The "other" issues I'm having are a deployed husband, full time nursing student, single parent (due to hubby being deployed), PMS (hormones), a broken toe that won't heal after 8 weeks, and those darn burnt cupcakes etc. Aside from the burnt cupcakes, how can my other issues, that I have no control over, be worked out? My thoughts exactly~By throwing cakes & rotten oranges icon_lol.gif FOOD FIGHT!

I like things to be done a certain way. I do set standards for myself. Some are unrealistic, others are not. But that's how I push myself to do better. With that said, I don't walk around pretending to be perfect. My definition of perfect may be different from your definition of perfect. "perfect" for me is doing something that is flawed, but doesn't look "that" flawed. I mean, an off-centered cake would have been better than crumbling & burnt cakes/cupcakes. I know that nothing we do in life will live up to the true definition of "Perfect" (without flaws) only Jesus was perfect. I am flesh and therefore flawed. We all have our own way of handling things.

I felt like throwing cake & oranges. I'm not a violent person, although I am proficient in boxing and Muay Thai. I usually take my frustrations out on the punching bag & in the ring, but since I have a broken toe, I have to abstain from all forms of physical contact until it heals.

I will never on earth hurt my children (I'm not saying you accused me). I was close to my kitchen knives, glass vase, a chair, pots & pans, but I just felt like throwing rotten oranges that were sitting in a bowl. So, in essence I had a food fight in my kitchen and it was pretty fun.

BUT, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I should stop internalizing my feelings. But, who will I express them too? My hubby is already living in a hostile environment. It sucks not having an outlet.

indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:04pm
post #17 of 25

anglefire, you're right ... it DOES suck not having an outlet, and having done the single mom thing, I know how stressful that can be. Which its why its very important that you try to set aside time for you (easier said than done, I know!) even if its just an hour to walk the mall by yourself and destress.

You have a lot on your plate and I admire you for the load you are carrying. I personally hate it when people tell me I need to "take time and relax" because the first thing I want to do is ask them to live my schedule for a week! icon_mad.gif But the truth is they are right. The statement we hate hearing but is so true is "if we don't take care of ourselves first, we won't be there to take care of everyone else."

Know that you always have an outlet here! (in my house, "mom" stands for "Mother of a Marine", so tap my shoulder anytime!) thumbs_up.gif

Luv ya, darlin'! usaribbon.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:20pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

anglefire, you're right ... it DOES suck not having an outlet, and having done the single mom thing, I know how stressful that can be. Which its why its very important that you try to set aside time for you (easier said than done, I know!) even if its just an hour to walk the mall by yourself and destress.

You have a lot on your plate and I admire you for the load you are carrying. I personally hate it when people tell me I need to "take time and relax" because the first thing I want to do is ask them to live my schedule for a week! icon_mad.gif But the truth is they are right. The statement we hate hearing but is so true is "if we don't take care of ourselves first, we won't be there to take care of everyone else."

Know that you always have an outlet here! (in my house, "mom" stands for "Mother of a Marine", so tap my shoulder anytime!) thumbs_up.gif

Luv ya, darlin'! usaribbon.gif

Thank you so much! I'm glad I can come here and you gals & guys can be my outlet. You are right. We hate hearing the truth and you spoke/wrote it in the previous post. It stung b/c I never ever want to hurt my babies or show them that throwing things solve problems. Sure it felt good at the moment, but what message was I sending?

indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #19 of 25

Angel, I was thinking today about something that falls into your "sure felt good!" category!

My then-teenage daughter couldn't figure out how to put the pans away in the kitchen. ALmost every time I opened the cabinet door, pans would fall out. One day I was SO mad that I grabbed a handful of pans and headed to her bedroom. Hubby stopped me and asked what I was doing. I told him I was putting every single pan on her bed so she could figure out how to put them away right!

he started laughing and tried to convince me not to do that. The only thing that made me see how silly it was, was when he finally said, "That is so stupid that its something *I* would do!" Ok .... that convinced me!

But it sure would have made me feel better!

Cake_farmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_farmer Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm
post #20 of 25

Angel, Are you active duty? Do you have a FRG? Friends whose hubands are also deployed? A sister, aunt, or other family member?

My father was Active Duty my entire childhood and my brother-in-law is on his third deployment - Iraq, Iraq, Afganistan. (Korea inbetween) I try to be the person my sister can vent to. At least so she knows someone is there when she needs it. Try to find someone to be there for you, so you can be there for your kids and husband when he comes home.

As for kids. I think it is healthy for them to see us be upset, then see how we recover. It is the recovery which is the important modeling behavior. --- See this awful thing happened but thn we did our best...

Hugs...

Angelfire3 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:07am
post #21 of 25

Thanks Indydebi & Cake_farmer, I really appreciate your advice. I thought I replied to this, but I guess it never went through. I do have good news. My husband is home. He came home on Tuesday. I'm so happy!

I never realized at how mellow I become when my hubby is here and how stressed and overwhelmed I get when he's away. His military unit does offer family readiness. But they are all the way in River Dale Maryland and I'm in Culpeper, VA. That's roughly 100 miles away, one way. icon_eek.gif No thanks!

Thanks again!

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:04am
post #22 of 25

Absolutely no judging on the throwing the oranges thing here. Actually, and people can flame me if they want, I was laughing at the mental image of cupcakes flying through the air followed by oranges! But that's because I am a prior military spouse, whose DH deployed while I was pregnant with our second, and whose DH wasn't there when his first son was born. I am bipolar and ADHD, therefore am inclined to over-react under stress. So it's something I would totally do. And my boys would see it. They would also see me burst out laughing and then cleaning up my mess! Kudos to you for still being able to see straight with so much going on in your life. (And one orange throwing incident does not set you up for a lifetime of violent tempers. Good grief.)

I can tell the first cake would have been really cute had it not fallen over. icon_smile.gif

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:56am
post #23 of 25

Angelfire3, You go Girl! Sounds like you did the best that you could, considering everything you have going on.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:06am
post #24 of 25

Isnt stress grand?!?! I would much rather throw cupcakes that sharp objects!! lol. Sorry it was such a disaster. Hope things settle down for you. icon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #25 of 25

Thank you! Despite the appearance, it was still delicious. I only got a piece of it.

OAN: My hubby is back from Afghanistan. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%