Stacking A Cake Iced In Bettercreme?

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if this is possible? I really don't want to, but I am sick and cannot decorate a cake for this weekend. My husband may try to do it, but the icing isn't made yet. I was trying to figure out an easier solution for him. I think he will get too overwhelmed if he had to make icing too.

It seems a little soft. Is there a way to stiffen it up a bit more maybe?

Oh, I bought SPS. I've never tried it before, but planning on using it with this cake. The cake needs to travel 10 miles.

Thanks for the advice.

6 replies
cakesherry Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 7

I've used rich's bettercreme many times for wedding cakes. If it isn't thick enough, just keep beating it. The only problem is that it doesn't crust!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! It's actually good if it doesn't crust. We're planning on covering it with gourmet/sparkling sugar.

Now, how about making a dam with it? I was planningg on using raspberry filling. Will the Bettercream be strong enough to hold it in?

Thanks again!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, here's another question. The store we can get Bettercreme from only has vanilla or chocolate. The bottom tier of my cake is lemon. I wanted to have lemon buttercream. If I add lemon flavoring to the vanilla Bettercreme, will it taste ok or be awful?

Thank you again!

JanH Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:23am
post #5 of 7

It'll taste like lemon Bettercreme. icon_smile.gif

If you like lemon, you'll be good to go. thumbs_up.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the vanilla and lemon would taste odd together. Whenever I make lemon icing, I don't put any other flavorings in with it.

Thanks again!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, everyone! We used the Bettcream, made the dam, filled with the raspberry filling. I had forgotten how much I disliked this frosting. I was, however, quite grateful to have it available, because never would have been able to get the cake done if I had to make frosting this weekend.

I've got tons of this stuff left over, now. 3/4 of a batch of the chocolate, already whipped. A full carton of chocolate in the freeze, and a full carton of the vanilla in the fridge. Ugh! Maybe I'll read that thread from Melvira and figure out something to do with it.

Thanks, again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%