Just Need To Whine-Sick And Can't Make Cake

Lounge By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 5:39pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:30am
post #1 of 4

For the past six weeks I've been planning a large surprise party for my mother-in-law. It's this Sunday. she's turning 60 and we wanted this to be really special for her. She grew up in foster care and never really had birthdays, so she always makes them important for everyone now.

I'm so sick right now that I can barely move. I've got the cakes baked and in the freezer, but have no clue how I can make frosting, ice and decorate them. My daughter, she's 8, was so cute last night and said "don't worry Mommy, Daddy and I will decorate Grandma's cake for you. We won't do a good job of frosting it, but we can put the fondant on." she was disappointed when I told her the plan was to ice it then sugar crust it, only has fondant as accent pieces. She said "we won't do a good job of icing it, but we can try."

Well, I just may have to have them do the work. My husband will probably freak out, but if he doesn't decorate it, then we have to buy a sheet cake from BJs.

Thanks for listening to my whining.

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 4

I hope you feel better soon!

Your MIL will probably love a sloppy cake lovingly decorated by her son and granddaughter almost as much as she'd enjoy your masterpiece, if you were feeling well enough to decorate it. You might be surprised at what your daughter's learned just from watching you, too...my daughter's 8 and she can do some pretty good decorating already.

Ursula40 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 4

Ditto, let your duaghter have fun and stay in the background. I never knew, how much my daughter learnt by watching me, but she won the books to eat this year and i swear I didn't even bake the cakes. I am strict, either she does everything herself or she doesn't participate.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! Well, it turned out that I felt better by noon on Saturday, after taking some Excedrin. By evening, I felt like a new person. Saturday my husband took his turn being sick, and Sunday my daughter was sick.

I woke up very early on Sunday morning and started decorating the cake. So, I was able to make the cake, but had to make a lot of sacrifices on the design and the icing. Saturday I went to the restaurant supply and bought some Bettercream because I knew I would not be able to make my own buttercream. I finished the cake as best I could by 2:30 Sunday, freaked out a bit because I lost something, jumped in the shower, and packed the cars and left the house by 4:10. I wasn't too happy with how it turned out, but I reminded myself that it was either that or buy a BJs sheet cake. My mother-in-law loved it and the guests talked about it all night. I think the dim lighting and all the other sweets and decorations we had on the cake table helped to make the problems less noticeable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%