Question About Erlene's Serving Chart

Decorating By Twinflower Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm by Kitagrl

Twinflower Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:24am
post #1 of 8

Is the cake size and serving amount based on a single layer or two layers?

Example: If I bake two 8" rounds, stack and fill, is this one or two for the purpose of reading the chart.

I find it hard to believe that a single layer serves what the chart says.

Thank you for your input!

7 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:12am
post #2 of 8

Her chart is based on a 4" tall cake cut in 2x1" pieces, industry standard. I believe she actually cut each size cake listed and confirmed exactly how many pieces she got from each, which is why her chart is rad.

leily Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Her chart is based on a 4" tall cake cut in 2x1" pieces, industry standard. I believe she actually cut each size cake listed and confirmed exactly how many pieces she got from each, which is why her chart is rad.

I don't know the exact size of her serving, but her servings are larger than the 1"x2" industry standard. The wilton chart uses the 1"x2' industry standard which shows more servings per cake then Earlene, i think hers are closer to 1 1/2"x2"

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 8

Earlene's chart will cause you to give away free cake, unless you increase your per slice price. Not cool.

Rainyvv Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Earlene's chart will cause you to give away free cake, unless you increase your per slice price. Not cool.

So do you use the Wilton chart and never had any problems?

anythingart Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 8

Where do I find this chart? Thanks

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 8

I've used the Wilton chart for 11 years of wedding cake specialty baking. Never had problem one with not having the correct number of servings.

ALL caterers cut to the Wilton chart whether they know it or not. It's been around forever and its how they have been taught. Even if you provide a cutting chart - which I always do - with the straight cut method, it's still the same number of servings as the Wilton chart. It's *plenty* of cake - 8 cubic inches. You're had drinks and dinner and now a slice of cake. Works fine.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 8

I use Earlene's. I'd rather give away a bit of "free cake" than ever ONE time be accused of not giving enough, even if it is the servers' faults.

And if anyone ever did complain I would just tell them I use a padded chart and inform them they have no foundation upon which to complain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%