How To Decorate Owl Cookies For Kindergarten Class?

Baking By cakesrock Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 4

I am going to be doing some owl shaped NFSC with my son's kindergarten class. They will have to be decorated before baking, so I was wondering what would be simple enough, but still end up looking like an owl? What could I use to define the wings, feet, beak and eyes (that won't completely melt!) We can't use nuts, as it's a nut-free environment.
TIA

3 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:24am
post #2 of 4

What I would do is use your basic NFSC dough and color it (or make a batch of chocolate sugar cookie dough too).

Roll out the owl shape in the regular dough, cut wings and feet thinner in brown or chocolate dough, lay in place over the body. Cut 2 circles of regular dough for the big part of the eyes and 2 tiny dots of brown/choc for the inner eyes. Color some dough orange and cut for the beak shape.

May be tedious, but for decorating before hand I think it would work. Good luck!

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:29am
post #3 of 4

Or! Just thought...this might be easier.

Make your owl cutout with regular dough, thin down some coloring (brown, orange, etc). and paint out the different parts. Maybe still cutout 2 small dough circles for the eyes so they pop out...

the wheels in my brain are spinning lol...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylou

Or! Just thought...this might be easier.

Make your owl cutout with regular dough, thin down some coloring (brown, orange, etc). and paint out the different parts. Maybe still cutout 2 small dough circles for the eyes so they pop out...

the wheels in my brain are spinning lol...

Luv the idea of coloring the dough ahead!
Okay, so in your 2nd suggestion do you mean get the kids to paint it or I paint it? I can thin down RI and have the kids paint AFTER if necessary. I don't know how much prep work I can do beforehand now, as I was told we need to have an educational component. I may need to mix there to teach them that part and have a 'math' lesson involved...
I really wanted to use little candies for the eyes and those Halloween orange striped candies that look like a beak for the nose, but wasnt' sure what kind of candy to use to make them look like they have wings?But obviously that would have to be AFTER.But as I said that's a possibility. I just wonder what is easier, more efficient and really FUN for them? I could bring along a bit of gum glue or RI to help them stick the candies.
Your thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%