Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

Anybody need help with anything?
I'm available for taste testing tonight. icon_smile.gif

31 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:31am
post #2 of 32

No cakes for me tonight. And my next wedding show isn't until next Friday. Whatever will I do with myself? Oh yes, email campaigns.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 32

I have a busy weekend around here -- I have several cake and buttercream recipes I want to try out and that works out well because I can bring them to bible study on Sunday (test them out on the brethren -- though shalt not lie if the cake ain't that great! icon_lol.gif Then my cakes 101 class sold out and the waiting list filled up fast (unusual for the Winter term -- I usually get slammed in the Fall) and that starts Monday, so I have to get ready for that. Which is another reason I'm happy I have all these recipes I want to try -- I can practice my piping for class! icon_biggrin.gif So what's everyone else up to?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:47am
post #4 of 32

Nothing for me tonight. My husband told me this week that he was going to build me a commercial kitchen. So, I have been working on the floor plans. It will be small 12x24 a non-storefront. I would appreciate anyone pming me pictures of their setup. It will be compact, but perfect. I think he is tired of paying for my give aways! 25th anniversary cake next week!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:47am
post #5 of 32

Hi Leah and Bob!!

I am working on a 2 tier toy story cake for my cousins baby. Sure wish I didn't agree to make the cake....soooo not in the mood to bake cakes tonight!!

Bob, what recipes are you trying out?

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:49am
post #6 of 32

Just a dummy here tonight icon_biggrin.gif

Working on a design for Sweet Times in the Rockies. I did have 2 designs I wanted to do,but after talking with the organizers I found out i would have to put them in the same category. Not I want to do that. Trying to decide whether to go with just the one I have already started or figure out a new design for a different category.

leah- what do you mean by email campaigns? Advertising?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:50am
post #7 of 32

Oh gosh, let me see, well there's a carrot cake that sounds to die for I want to try, a cream cheese buttercream, a sour cream buttercream, a swiss meringue buttercream (what I'm going to do with all these buttercreams I have NO idea!) icon_biggrin.gif Then I have leftover zuchini for bread and enough dead bananas for banana bread (we're going to have some chubby brethren after Sunday!) icon_lol.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:51am
post #8 of 32

Just finished a 6" cake, 48 cupcakes w/toppers, and 48 cookie favors for a shower tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not in business, they took forever! icon_eek.gif But it was fun!

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #9 of 32

Kakes - yes advertising. Email campaigns to brides who signed up at the wedding show.

Wonder - I have never found a really good carrot cake recipe. I have several that I've used over the years but they all are a bit finicky/not always dependable. They sell well, but I always have to wonder if they're gong to turn out.

LKing - how exciting!

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #10 of 32

ugh . . . the program over at GoDaddy for the email campaigns is hung up somehow. Cheap products. What do I expect?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #11 of 32

no cakes tonight... but i do have to bake off 4 dozen oatmeal cookies (they're already in balls in the freezer, just have to thaw and bake) but i'm thinking after the evening i had that i'm going to just wake up early in the morning and bake them.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:05am
post #12 of 32

Working on a display cake #3 and cake balls for sample treats for a bridal show on Sunday. I am also working on a birthday cake for Sunday as well. I've done as much as I could tonight, ran out of steam! I'm gonna have to really push it tomorrow to get everything done!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:05am
post #13 of 32

Nothing tonight...just playing around on here. Thinking about taking a practice cake to work sometime next week and thinking about my options. Have a great night everyone!

KakesbyKris Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:06am
post #14 of 32

leah-If you would indulge me.....There is only 1 show a year in my area and this year will be my first. What do you send out to brides in your email? General info on your services?

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:10am
post #15 of 32

Kakes - would you believe I do from 8 to 10 wedding shows a year?

General info on services gets you nowhere fast. You have to offer something. A "value added" something as Indy is always talking about. I offer 2 doz cupcakes if they book a wedding cake. I always have leftover batter so it truly costs me next to nothing. Or I offer a discount on a candy buffet. I'd rather load up the truck with a cake and a candy buffet and make one massive delivery!

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:12am
post #16 of 32

double ugh. Go Daddy says the control panel is down. No one I couldn't get pics to upload.

Normita Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:14am
post #17 of 32

Leah....I'm getting ready for my first bridal show coming up in February. Any suggestions or helpful tips? Dont know if I should make mini cupcakes or cakes cut in little squares and packaged in portion cups?

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #18 of 32

Absolutely use the lidded souffle cups. The cake will stay moister and brides can just throw them in their bags. The caterers will fill them up with food before they hit your booth.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Absolutely use the lidded souffle cups. The cake will stay moister and brides can just throw them in their bags. The caterers will fill them up with food before they hit your booth.

i haven't done a wedding show myself, but i see this tip repeated over and over, and others who have taken the advice of Leah and IndyDebi and it went over so well!!

Don't forget to put your business info on an address label on the lidded cup too! you want those brides to know where they got that cake from.

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:32am
post #20 of 32

Yes! Avery makes round stickers that you can print yourself.

KakesbyKris Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:32am
post #21 of 32

Even with doing the show in the next town, it would still only give me 2. I can't imagine doing 10!! Does it seem like you are constantly preparing for one or do you just use the same display items over and over? I had already thought of the offer, I was just going to hand them out as certificates with my info and redeemable upon booking.

leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:38am
post #22 of 32

Yes, i use the same display cakes over and over, washing down old ones and adding a new one or two every year. Not only am I an exhibitor, I'm in the core group producing the shows. I do all the advertising, media buys, press releases, show floor layouts, any print brochures for vendors, vendors load in instructions by email, keep the lead lists and email them out, after planting a fake bride email and address which I then monitor for several weeks after the show.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:48am
post #23 of 32

Rolled 50 banana cake truffles tonight. They're in the freezing awaiting dipping next week. My son's birthday is next weekend so I'm also contemplating how to make a Pixar lamp cake.

KakesbyKris Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:55am
post #24 of 32

Wow! I feel like a slacker. LOL

Normita Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:17am
post #25 of 32

Thanks Leah for the tips. I am excited to get my display cakes ready....I want to "WOW" all the brides at the show!! If you guys can only see the cakes that other vendors had on display.....HORRIBLE!! But I guess thats good for me icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #26 of 32

I'm still designing a Chinese New Year Cake for a charity dinner. I ordered the transfer images and they look fantastic. It's going on a sheet cake and then 36 red velvet cupcakes to go with it. Should be nice. It's year of the rabbit.

I'm burned out on the cookies for charity at the moment. I think I must have donated 4,000 last year. No more until after Easter. I need a break and I wanted to practice on cakes anyway.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:33am
post #27 of 32

Late check-in from the west coast. No cakes for me this weekend and that's a good thing. The middle-child & I have both been fighting off the flu. Mostly on the mend now but feeling behind on my plans for my littlest monkey's birthday party next weekend.

It has been a little bit like Christmas this week. My Agbay came on Wed icon_biggrin.gif and a box of "toys" from GSA today. Wish I felt well enough to play icon_rolleyes.gif

Spent most of today in a flurry of planning emails with my cousin for her wedding cake in June. She's finally decided on the design. She & her mom are going to get all the materials so I only have to supply the labor. I've decided to be Zen about the whole "outdoors in the summer heat" thing--they have been warned repeatedly about the possibility of disaster. I will give them my best heat-resistant cake and then wash my hands of it all.

Leah--Can I PM you with some SPS questions specific to this cake? I don't want to hijack the FNCC.

Time to chill and let the DH put kids to bed.
Kristy

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #28 of 32

I'm thinking about selling fondant cupcake toppers on etsy. Does anyone have any ideas on how to ship these? Bubble wrap maybe? Or ziplocks?

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:56am
post #29 of 32

LEAH, Where can I purchase lidded souffle cups? THANKS!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:05am
post #30 of 32

Another late check in from the West Coast. Just finished up a creme cheese buttercream for the 48 chocolate and vanilla cupcakes for our Cub Scout Pinewood Derby tomorrow. This week was work on figures for a display cake needed for an auction later this year (perfect as a shower display cake for Bridal Shows too) as well as the actual display cake. Now things are drying so I can place the figure on top next week. Plus figures for a baby shower cake coming up in a few weeks. My hands actually hurt from all the teeny tiny detail work but everything turned out SO cute! All in all a very good week!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%