Is Silver Buttercream Possible?

Baking By kello Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm by chefjess819

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make cupcakes with silver icing.....not sure how to achieve this. I don't want it to look gray.
Is there an edible spray perhaps? I don't have an airbrush.

9 replies
Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 10

PME has an edible spray. The one I have is called "pearl" and everthing I've sprayed has turned silver (intentional and unintentionally).

I bought mine at Golda's in Mississauga but I'm sure most cake supply stores have them.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #3 of 10

yes, i use the silver sheen in pme or luck brand. beautiful silver. Also, americolor airbrush .

kello Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:25am
post #4 of 10

That's terrific, I've ordered from Golda's many times.....I must have overlooked that.

Thanks to you both! Could I add the americolor airbrush color to the icing?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:53am
post #5 of 10

I am sorry, but you can,t. So if you don,t have airbrush, then buy the spray cans of lucks(wonderful spray) or the pme brand cans of sheen. I do think both says gold sheen , silver sheed, pearl sheen, etc. The americolor airbrush colors come in all other colors (sheen). Also, global sugar art has all of this too.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #6 of 10

What timing!! I have a wedding cake booked with silver as one of the colors. If the bride wanted silver tiers, could the spray cans do that and have it look decent, or would it take some practice?? Ok...I KNOW spray cans cant run themselves icon_lol.gif But would that be an appropriate use?

kello Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 10

Yeah, I found the sprays! Thanks a lot. Mine are for a wedding as well, so I hope it looks good too. I saw they had a gun for these spray cans.....anyone use it? Does it really make it easier?
Also, does anyone know how many cupcakes I could spray with one can? I have at lease 80 cc to do in the silver.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 10

I would say you need 2-3 cans...PME is wonderful and it smells divine.

kello Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks kiddiekakes.......good to know!!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kello

Yeah, I found the sprays! Thanks a lot. Mine are for a wedding as well, so I hope it looks good too. I saw they had a gun for these spray cans.....anyone use it? Does it really make it easier?
Also, does anyone know how many cupcakes I could spray with one can? I have at lease 80 cc to do in the silver.

if the gun is similar to the ones they have for actual spray paint, then the gun is a lot easier on your hands when you have a lot to cover. it gives an even coat instead of the smaller bursts of color you get when just using your finger to press the trigger. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%