Makins Gun Vs Sugar Gun??

Decorating By MelissaMay Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm by Karen421

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 13

buying a clay gun...the Makins "twists" out the fondant, and the sugar gun you have to squueze. Makins is cheaper, I don't care about price just wondering if anyone has a preference and why?

12 replies
MelissaMay Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 13

Sorry name of other gun is blocked, it's the one Sharon Z uses in her dvd it a squeeze kind with a red handle....HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 13

the other gun is s u g a r c r a f t, that word is blocked due to an agreement with CC and a company with that in their name. (legal issues we don't even want to touch)

MelissaMay Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 13

thank you... i realize they do that...lol... just funny tring to describe it without using the name. Could make for a very confusing thread!! icon_eek.gif

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:37am
post #5 of 13

I have the Makins clay extruder (that's what you're talking about, right?). I love it. I watched Edna DeLaCruz (she has instructional videos on u tube under the name toneda1) and I actually ordered it from her web [email protected]. She said she had used others and found the Makins to be the best /easiest to use. She makes beautiful cakes and obviously has years of experience, since I'm new at this I trusted her judgement and I'm glad I did!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #6 of 13

Edna is also a member here, and her cakes are beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:58am
post #7 of 13

I have the Makins extruder and I've used the other one, too. I like the Makins better, because the one you have to squeeze tires your hands out really fast. I mean with kneading fondant and other things in cake decorating that are so hard on the hands, who needs the extra aggravation? Besides, the Makins extruder has more interchangeable disks than any other one I've seen so you can make more shapes.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:59am
post #8 of 13

HI, i have the makins one, the black and red fmm one and another one that i saw on this site to buy at michaels, one called walnut hollow , I got that one too, but haven,t tried it. Some on this site , say that is better than the makin one. I still love the red and black(fmm) . It happens to be what i am using them for, as to which one is use. lol!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:01am
post #9 of 13

Hi, i forgot to send this link

" rel="nofollow">

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:12am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

the other gun is , that word is blocked due to an agreement with CC and a company with that in their name. (legal issues we don't even want to touch)

wow... i put spaces between all the letters and it still blocked it out. Didn't know they changed things to do that too... i didn't come back to check my post and didn't realize that the word had been blocked in my post too.

MelissaMay Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 13

thank you everyone...since my hands tire easily. I think I'm going with the makins...you twist it vs squeezing....thanks for the advice

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 13

I have the red & black gun (Like on Sharon's site) and I also have the one made by Walnut Hollow, here is a link http://www.walnuthollow.com/search.aspx?find=clay+extruder

I use them both. The Walnut Hollow extruder will hold more fondant and give me longer strings. The sugar **craft gun I like for smaller projects. I've never used the Makins green one, but I know alot of people on here like it.

Edited to add: I really like using the sugar**craft gun when putting an edging on my bow loops. I can squeeze the fondant out using only 1 hand and use my free hand to guide the strings of fondant along the loops.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 13

I use the twist or screw type and I love it! I have carpal tunnel and I don't have any problems with style. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%