Selling Cupcakes In Farmers Markets In The Uk

Baking By MissCakeCrazy Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 12:19am by Dayti

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 3

A relative keeps on telling me to try selling my cupcakes at car boot sales and Farmers markets to make a bit of money but I don't know if it is worth it. I will obviously have to sell them cheaper than I would have if they were custom made for a wedding, birthday etc.. Can anyone tell me if they have tried doing this and how much you can expect to earn?

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:11am
post #2 of 3

I have never done either, sorry, but I would think you could charge more at a farmers market because people generally shop there to get high quality local produce and don't mind spending a bit more. Car boot sale goers however are more bargain hunters, so may not pay so much. But you get all sorts of people too - if i was browsing a car boot sale I would definitely buy a cupcake at any price, especially if there is no other food available!
You'd have to find out the costs involved for each too - reckon car boot would be much cheaper than a table at the market. Good luck! I am quite envious, here in Spain neither options are available to me!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:19am
post #3 of 3

£2.50 would be my price I think, you are in/near London. No way as little as £2.00 and if you do £2.15 or something you have to be quick with the maths! It's not a school fete, where baked stuff generally goes really cheaply (and generally looks cheap too!). Cupcake boxes aren't cheap either and you'd need to buy lots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%