2 Colors Of Fondant

Decorating By Trance Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm by pmarks0

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 3

What is the best way to cover a cake in fondant where you want the sides one color but the top of the cake a different color? Is it best to cover the whole cake in the color that the sides will be and then cut the different color for the top and place it on top over the other color?

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

2 replies
shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 3

Thank is how I would do it I think it would be hard to make them match up if you did the sides and top seperately

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 3

I've done a cake where the top is one thing and the sides is another. In my case I used an impression mat for the top but the sides were smooth.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1727707

I did the sides first measuring out a long piece of fondant the height of the cake and attached it. And then i rolled the top on the impression mat, used a cake circle the size of the cake to cut the top and put it on. You'll have a seam along the edge where the two colours meet so you'll want to do something to cover that.

You can always do the sides in one colour and then do the top in the other, but rather than making it exactly the size of the cake, make it two inches larger and scallop the edges so that it hangs over the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%