Beet Juice

Baking By caked4life Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 8:59pm by KatsSuiteCakes

caked4life Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 6

On one of the reality shows the baker said she makes her Red Velvet Cake with beet juice instead of red food coloring...WOW! icon_surprised.gif

Does anyone else do this? Do you have the recipe, I would love to try this?

5 replies
dynee Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 6

I tried this for a Red Velvet cheesecake and would probably not use it again. It barely had any color. I added some red color anyway and it still was more burgundy than red.

Corrie76 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 6

if anyone has tried this I would love to know also, especially what kind of flavor beet juice brings to the cake. I do know from reading up on the history of Red Velvet that beets were originally used to pump up the color and then many years later red food color was substitutued. I'm hesitant to try it, as I understand, bakers at the time dropped Red Velvet the second they were able to get their hands on more chocolate. this makes me think that maybe the beets were probably not so good if they were abandoned so readily.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 6

I not only have used beet juice, but I took the whole can of beets and pureed it in the food processor as a substitute for the liquid. I'll try and find the recipe I used. It didn't smell that great while it was baking, but it was delicious, moist and a beautiful Red Velvet Color.
If I recall, it was the Waldorf Astoria original Red Velvet cake recipe.

caked4life Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 6

Katssuitecakes: is the taste altered by the beets, at all? I've read the cake is SUPER moist.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 6

The way it smelled while baking, I was a little leary of the outcome, but it was delicious, and moist, and no one would have guessed there were beets in it. It was actually for my Grooms Tux cake, and it got rave reviews. You can always add a little red food coloring if you want, but I thought it was fine without it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%