"the Mat"

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 12:10pm by luddroth

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 14

Good Morning CCers!

Has anyone else seen those WONDERFUL youtube videos on using "The Mat"? I remember posting about materials that were food safe that could be used for rolling out fondant and this neat little tool seems to be the answer. Does anyone have one? If so how do you like it, is it really the miracle mat that is shown in the videos?

13 replies
cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 14

i have it and i LOVE it! just need to be careful of not getting a wrinkle or crease in it because if so, its there forever. i highly recommend it icon_smile.gif

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 14

There are several posts on here about the mat both the pros and cons. I love mine!!! And have bought them as gifts for fellow cakers.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 14

Is there only that one place to purchase them? Shipping to Canada is more than the "Mat" costs!!

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 14

Kello

I bought one from McCall's warehouse here in Toronto. It is quite large and I use it for all my fondant projects. I am sure they would ship to you. The cost was around $35.

If you want their phone number let me know, or google them. Mccalls bakers warehouse in Mississauga

adamsgama

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryqueen9

Good Morning CCers!

Has anyone else seen those WONDERFUL youtube videos on using "The Mat"? I remember posting about materials that were food safe that could be used for rolling out fondant and this neat little tool seems to be the answer. Does anyone have one? If so how do you like it, is it really the miracle mat that is shown in the videos?

I LOVE "The Mat" it is so easy to use. I had never worked with fondant until I took a class at Sweet Wise. I had heard horror stories about working ith fondant but "The Mat" is so easy to use. Even a child or beginner can use it. I would reccomend it to for sure!

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 14

I used the mat that I received for Christmas from the Sweetwise shop in Nashville for the first time yesterday and I loved it.

Christy

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 14

Wow...it's great to know you guys all seem to have success with it I guess it will be going on my loooooong wish list for Mother's Day icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the input!

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 14

I just read this post and went right to the video and watched it. Can't believe it's only 16 bucks, if it works as well as it shows! I have a large blue silicone mat, and it cost a ton more than this. I ordered it, so we'll see how it works!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 14

Just used mine for the first time this morning and I am sold on it. It's definitely worth the price (including shipping...). The best thing about it is the time it gives you -- no rushing to get the fondant on before it starts drying and breaking. It worked exactly as advertised. I watched the video and then went into the kitchen and did it. Worked like a charm. And they say that it gets better after it's been used a few times. I put a light layer of Crisco on it for the first-time use, as instructed. I had no problems at all getting the mat to pull away from the fondant. Having the fondant be free of added cornstarch is a huge plus.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 14

The Mat is Ah, Mazing!!!!! Will not be disappointed if you purchase. Just follow the directions and season it before first use and remember it can take a few tries before having the technique down pat but when you do you'll love it!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 14

I too love the Mat! I bought one at SweetWise while attending a class there. I also had the big blue mat referred to above and the MAT is much better and easier to handle - just the fact that you can see where the fondant is - is a plus!

I am hoping they will start selling smaller pieces of the Mat for the little jobs - but until then - I cut up my old big blue mat and am using it for all of my small fondant/gumpaste work - instead of wasting wax paper.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #13 of 14

Does anyone know if there are any stores that sell the mat in the US so I don't have to pay for shipping?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 12:10pm
post #14 of 14

Not that I know of -- it's a small company and internet based. It is worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%