Make A Kahlua Cake?

Baking By amdynzee Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 1:57pm by Vanessa7

amdynzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amdynzee Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 8

First post, been a CC lurker for some time, love this website! icon_biggrin.gif ...Making my future sister in law's bridal shower cake and her only request is a Kahlua flavored cake. She does not usually like cake except for a kahlua cake she tried, made by a former coworker. She does not have the recipe. The only kahlua cake recipes I can find are dusted with powdered sugar or just glazed.

Does anyone have a tried and true sturdy and stackable kahlua cake recipe? Any filling or icing ideas? Would love any suggestions to save same trial and error baking and flavor combination mishaps. Thanks so much!!

7 replies
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 8

I just made the Kahlua cake in this document - it was out of this world. One thing I might do next time is brush my cake with more kahlua after baking.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddhwqp45_49hm7wvmrf

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 8

I've used a chocolate cake and made a kalua cake before. Just replace about half of the liquid with kaluha and you can replace the other half with coffee.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:20am
post #4 of 8

Is the kahlua cake she likes a yellow, white, or chocolate based cake? If it is a lighter cake, a tiramisu-style cake... brushed on kahlua, mascarpone based icing, dusted with cocoa powder may work. To me, who loves kahlua in dessert, it gets lost in chocolate cake, but that's just me.

amdynzee Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 8

deah, texas sugar, scp,

Thank you so much for the replies! Scp~ The cake she liked was chocolate based. Deah~ I printed off all 36 pages of cake recipes, three hole punched them, and stuck them in a binder. I forgot how nice it was to hold a book of recipes in my hands vs reading/baking them from a computer screen. Ha! Dumb question, on the Kahlua cake recipe you tried, did you replace the liquids from the base of wasc with the Kahlua, mudslide mix, water, and flavoring? Or is that in addition to? I assume it would be too much liquid, especially after reading texassugar's advise to replace the liquid with Kahlua and coffee?

Thanks again!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 8

amdynzee, first of all I made a half batch of this recipe - 1 chocolate cake mix, 1/2 c Kahlua, 1/2 c Mudslide, 1/3 c water. I couldn't find the Kona flavoring so I had a little coffee left over (2T) and added instant coffee to it to create a really strong mix. I used part most of the coffee in the cake but saved some for the filling. I didn't add any other favorings. BTW, you HAVE to use that filling! I could eat it by the spoonful.

amdynzee Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 8

Dean, GREAT, thanks!!! I will be sure to make the filling as well, it sounds awesome.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 8

This sounds yummy! Can't wait to make one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%