Sesame Street Cake - Fbct Or Colorflow

Decorating By apesusi Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 5:13pm by Sangriacupcake

apesusi Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen lots of cakes like this one in the gallery, so I know some of you know how to do it!!

For the characters on the cake would you do a FBCT or ColorFlow? Or neither? I don't want to do fondant on this cake, just buttercream.

I've never done either a FBCT or ColorFlow, so it's my first time. Does the FBCT soften up like regular buttercream after it thaws? And does the ColorFlow stay hard?

I guess with a FBCT they wouldn't be flat against the cake since they freeze flat and the cake is round, huh? hmmm....,400&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=117&vpy=69&dur=4146&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=167&ty=149&oei=Roo5TdLEO4SksQOp_tyOAw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0&biw=1366&bih=653

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 5

To me those actually look piped onto the cake. Look at how the eyes are, you can see the piping marks. Plus I like how elmo has a little bit of texture for fur on his face.

You can pipe them on there and then use a damp paint brush to smooth the icing out to get the flatter/smooth look. You could also viva it.

Sangriacupcake Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 5

I think Texas might be right...they look piped onto the cake.

I often do fbct for "background" that I wanted to be fairly smooth, then piped on details for added depth and texture. But my fbct have never liked being applied to the side of a round cake...!

To clarify: I add the details after the fbct is applied to the cake and allowed to come to room temp.

apesusi Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 5

Well, darn it! That's not good! LOL I can't pipe that for the life of me!!

Do you think a FBCT or a RIT would work for the side of the cake? Or am I asking for trouble?

I could probably pipe it if I had an outline on the cake. I wonder if I could somehow stencil the characters onto the cake....

Sangriacupcake Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

A large fbct will break when applied to the side of a round least that's what happened to mine. But Sesame Street characters are really easy to pipe!

If you need an outline, there are several ways to it. I would use piping gel with just a bit of color added to it...pipe the colored gel onto wax paper placed over your picture, apply gently to the cake.

Ice the black mouth first, making sure it's nice & smooth, then do all of the background color--a grass tip works so well for these characters, but you could also keep it smooth, if you prefer. Then add the googly eyes and puffy nose. I use tip 12 for these, applying it in one big "pillow" by keeping the tip in the icing as you apply lots of pressure, then releasing pressure before removing the tip. Sometimes I need to touch up the eyes & nose with my finger which has been dipped in a tiny bit of cornstarch.

That's just how I would do it. Fondant also works well for the sides of cakes, but I love doing these little guys in buttercream because of the textural effect.

hth! I'm just a hobbyist, but I've done lots of Sesame Street cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%