Help.... Nfsc Cookies

Baking By pinklady1356 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 8:00pm by pinklady1356

pinklady1356 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:35am
post #1 of 14

When I bake them ... they turn out to be hard cookies.. does it suppose to be that way? Am I doing something wrong? Its so hard and crunchy I dont know what Im doing wrong...

Im trying to figured out what I did wrong to make them hard. Wondering if it had to do with how thick I make or does it have to be really thick to stay soft the whole time?

I hope I can get some help from yall Thanks.

icon_sad.gif

13 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 14

They are supposed to be hard and crunchy, they are sugar cookies that stand up to RI or glace

lholybee Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #3 of 14

try Khalstead's modified NFSC, they are softer but they still hold up well.

pinklady1356 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

They are supposed to be hard and crunchy, they are sugar cookies that stand up to RI or glace

Ok thanks... i made them with buttercream icing... its sooo good. I was just scared to hear from other peoples comment to say they r hard but they r good you know I had one comment saying its hard. I didnt know if it was suppose to I want to try to sell my cookies good but wanted to make sure and dont know what IM suppose to say.

cheatize Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:58am
post #5 of 14

You may also want to check how much flour you're using. How are you measuring it? How much flour are using to roll it out? Also check on how long you're baking them.

pinklady1356 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

You may also want to check how much flour you're using. How are you measuring it? How much flour are using to roll it out? Also check on how long you're baking them.

I go by the directions as it stated. I just dont know how its like that...

Thanks..

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 14

I find that is you feeze them right after they cool and then thaw when you ice them and immediatley package them in a cellophane bag then they tend to stay soft.

cookieelf Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 14

Also, how long are you working the dough? The more you mess with flour the more gluten you activate and the tougher it becomes. Also try using the absolute least baking time. Mine are so soft that a good many break taking them from the pan to the cooling rack, even if I let them cool on the pan awhile...

Spectra Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #9 of 14

The first time I made them they were really hard, but it was because I left them in a tad too long. Now I take them out as soon as I see ANY brown on the edges. When they are cool and I flip them over the bottoms are just slightly darker than the topside. They are definitely a firmer cookie, but they shouldn't feel like you have to bite hard into them either. Hope that makes sense.

karabeal Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:00am
post #10 of 14

When I started making sugar cookies to decorate they were also harder than I wanted. Now I make them thicker and am very careful to bake them until they just look firm. Thin cookies are easy to overcook and overcooked cookies are hard.

Also, I second lhollylbee. I prefer Khalstead's version. Even if you don't use her recipe, read her instructions on how to roll them out. No added flour (Khalstead's method) will also help.

msulli10 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #11 of 14

I use the NFSC recipe from this site. I roll them about 1/4 thick (I use 2 wooden dowels as a guide).
I bake them until they start to turn a little golden on the edges. The texture of the cookie is firm enough to handle, but somewhat soft when you bite into it. Maybe you are rolling them too thin and that's why they are crispy (I like crispy). Maybe you are over baking or too hot an oven.

Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #12 of 14

I found I was putting a bit too much flour, and cooking too long. If you use the amt of flour in the recipe, don't use any to roll out. If using to roll out, cut the amount in the recipe a bit. I usually roll to 3/8" or so.

I cook at a lower temp until they just start to brown on the edges.

These are more like shortbread than a soft cookie. The icing does soften them up a little also. If you want a nice soft, yet stable, cookie, try the recipe on cookiecrazie.blogspot.com

kansaslaura Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:38am
post #13 of 14

It's the only sugar cookie recipe I use and I'd never all them 'hard and crunchy".. how long are you baking? I pull them out before they brown at all--maybe just starting to turn a little bit around the very edges. They have a little crisp to them, but nothing hard or crunchy.

How long and at what temp are you baking?

pinklady1356 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 14

I just go by the recipe...

I think Ill just make the cookies thicker and do less time to bake it in oven and pull it out and see what happens....

Thanks yall ill keep in touch with you to see how my second try is...

Yall r great helpers.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%