Icing - Question

Decorating By donviper Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 4:23am by FancyPantsBaker

donviper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donviper Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:07am
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to baking and new to custom cakes. I've submitted a few on here, but I have a lot more on my facebook page.

This question may be kind of hard to ask, but I have to ask it.....because maybe some of you can give me a starting point for recipes......

What kind of icing do most bakeries use?

I don't know how to describe the flavor of an icing from an old bakery from my childhood, the bakery has been closed for almost 15 years now and I have never had a cake since, that tasted so good (the icing).

The name of the bakery was MAGGIOS, located in Pottstown, Pennsylvania.

The other day at work, our boss purchased a cake from another local bakery from the other side of town, and the icing was strangely similar! I've eaten a lot of cake since the close of Maggios, and I wanna know what it is LOL. The icing was white, on a chocolate cake. I can remember from when I was a teenager, if you left the cake in a box on the table closed for a few days, the icing would get harder, but not so stiff that it was crunchy like Royal Icing.

I will try making every icing recipe until I find it, it's that important to me.

Any help anyone can lend is greatly appreciated.

So basically, what are some of the most popular "BAKERY" icings?

12 replies
JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #2 of 13

It sounds like you are talking about a buttercream icing, but there is many variations... Simple buttercream icing is VERY common among bakeries in the states!!! And it will "crust" after a while and become crunchy but not so hard like royal icing!!!

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 13

If you look in the recipes, there is a recipe that is called "Bakery Frosting". I'm not sure if that's what your looking for and I've never tried it. Perhaps someone else on here has? icon_smile.gif

Christy

donviper Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the replies. I wish there was a machine that food items could be placed into and it would spit out a recipe, or at least a name, lol.

That would be awesome.

I've made crusting buttercream icing already, and it tastes good, but whatever icing this bakery is using, it's something special.

FancyPantsBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:36am
post #5 of 13

on the wilton site there is a recipe for extra special buttercream and its pretty tasty I was shocked because they use shortening for their fat I just used the butter flavor crisco and was shocked at how good it was, it wasnt too sweet like most powder sugar frostings are. hopefully that will be on the right track

donviper Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 13

Thanks FancyPantsBaker, I'll check it out.

Butter flavored Crisco? Where might one find this? I haven't seen this at any of my local grocery stores.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:48am
post #7 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1609/fluffly-buttercream-bakery-icing

I've never tried this recipe, but maybe what you're looking for or close to it.

HTH

Kat

donviper Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:04am
post #8 of 13

Thanks KatsSuiteCakes, when I figured it out, if I figure it out, I will surely come back and post.

FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:07am
post #9 of 13

I find it at my local grocery store in the baking isle along with the other vegitable shortening.

donviper Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 13

I found it today at the local Wal-Mart Superstore.

I also used a clever method and called the bakery with a convincing allergy story......they said the cake had buttercream icing. So I asked if it had any almond flavoring, or any other special ingredient that my "grandmother" might be allergic to..........

So now I know it is just a basic buttercream, I can start experimenting with "buttercream" recipes.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 13

I have always used a combination of vanilla and almond extract in my white icing. My brother calls it wedding cake icing and has to have it on his birthday EVERY year. It reminds him of the icing on wedding cakes we ate at receptions when we were young. I also use equal parts of white crisco and butter. He says it is dead on wedding cakes from the 50's & 60's that he remembers.

donviper Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:13am
post #12 of 13

BoozeBabe: Thanks for the tip! So is that 1tsp of Vanilla and equal amount in Almond?

And when you say you use equal parts Crisco and butter, does that mean that if the recipe calls for 1 cup of Crisco, you use half a cup of Crisco and half a cup of Butter?

FancyPantsBaker Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:23am
post #13 of 13

yes you would use 1/2c crisco and 1/2c butter to make up the 1C the recipe calls for

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%