Cast Iron 3D Lamb.should I Lower Baking Temp?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 12:49am by sewsugarqueen

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 3

I have to bake a 3D Lamb from a cast iron cakepan that the customer requests I use..Should I lower the temp to 325 instead of 350 or keep it high?I will be baking a Butter Vanilla pound cake and I don't want it to burn even though I will be baking both halves separately flat instead of standing up and cutting the tops off to level.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
birdlady9771 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, lower it to 325 since it is thicker than a regular cake pan - better safe than sorry.

sewsugarqueen Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 12:49am
post #3 of 3

I bake Irish breads and scones in cast iron pans in oven. Do lower temp and put on lower shelf. You might want to cover top with aluminum foil halfway through so it doesn't get too brown. The time to bake will be different than regular pans. I think slightly longer. Check cooking times on Nordic ware pans as they are similar. ( Be sure to cover those lamb ears 10=12 minutes after start of baking . They are notorious for burning.
Do you plan on using a pound cake type for this? We always used carrot/pound/ or a heavier type cake when we baked the lamb. I still have my mom's original 1960's Wilton's lamb pan. Brings back fun memories whenever we use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%