Why Is Bottom Of White Pound Cake Greasy?

Baking By pheonix31571 Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm by pheonix31571

pheonix31571 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pheonix31571 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hi I was wanting to know if any one can tell me why my white mix pound cake is ending up with a greasy bottom. Do I need to obmit some of the oil. My recipe calls for 1/2 c per box and 4 egg whites. It also is getting a fair amount of crust also. Been baking at 125degrees and for a longer amount of time so that it gets done in the middle. Has any one experienced this before? icon_eek.gif any help will be appreciated thank you

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 10:54am
post #2 of 7

What's the complete list of ingredients? Did you use bleached/cake flour or unbleached AP flour.

(Or do you have a link to the recipe.)

And are you really baking at 125F...

How long and what size pans?

pheonix31571 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7

it is 2 white dc cake mixes 8 egg white, 2 1/2 c of milk , 1 cup of oil I put about a 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips in it. I am trying the same recipe but obmitted 1/2 of the oil going to see if that helps. the cake tastes good. just have to cut sides and bottom off. it is a 11x15
thank you for the input
icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 7

1) is that a typo on the oven temp? Most ovens won't go below 165 or 200 degrees simply because that puts food in the non-food-safe temp zone.

2) are you letting it cool in the pan? I find some cakes can get a big "soggy" looking/feeling if they cool in the pan (the steam from the hot cake has nowhere to escape to, so it goes back into the cake.

3) not sure if the added chocolate chips could add to it, but they do have an oil content.

4) How do you treat your pans?

Otherwise, sounds like you followed package directions and it should have turned out fine.

pheonix31571 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 7

yes 325 I do let them cool in the pan about 15 min. I thought maybe it might be the chips as well sinking to the bottom and causing the oil? i use bakers joy for my pans. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 7

Many CC'ers let their cakes cool in the pan, so 15 minutes doesn't sound too extreme to me. icon_confused.gif

When you have the chance, can you bake two cakes out of one batch, as an experiment, one with the chips and one without, to see if there is a diff between the two?

Maybe upgrade to a higher quality chocoalte?

pheonix31571 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7

i just pulled them out of the oven I only used a 1/2 they look better and don't seem to have the crust on them, but the taste test will tell. thank you again. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%