Fondant Buttons? How To Make?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 7:22pm by grams

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I've seen many cakes here on CC decorated with fondant buttons. Wondering how people are making them? are you using a mold or doing by hand? if a mold where did you get it (i looked at a few places and didn't find one), if free hand can you share how?

THANKS!

7 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 8

here's a super cute tutorial from Bake at 350's blog:

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2010/06/for-little-dudes.html

Laura78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura78 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

those are cute buttons thanks for sharing

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1696188

I made the buttons on this shirt by cutting circles with my round tip and put two small holes where the thread goes through then painted them with pearl dust to make them look real but they also make silicone molds that can be purchased and are fancier than these.

KalliCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalliCakes Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 8

Hey there! On my latest cake, I did a bunch of buttons. :0) Just use small round cutters to cut out a circle, use the bottom of a #3 tip (the large side) to imprint a circle on it and then use the other side of the #3 tip to cut out 2 or 4 button holes. You can do other shapes as well. I then created "thread" by rolling a snake of fondant and threading it through the holes. When I did this, I wanted more of a yarn look, so I also used the other end of the PME quilting tool to create indents in the "string". Good luck! They are fun, but time consuming if you do them this way versus making silicone molds from real buttons.

Some of the buttons I did on the cake also were just a round cut out, took a ball tool and smashed the round into the wilton fat flower pad/sponge (to get some texture and a rounded look). I then cut the holes, set it aside to dry then added the yarn. :0)

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the input everyone!

metria - that site is great! has lots of how-tos - thanks for sharing!

KalliCakes - it was actually your cake that reminded me how cute buttons are on cakes and to ask the question!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

You can go to the craft store and buy a silicone (food safe) mold making kit and make molds of buttons too. Make several, then press in fondant and freeze for five minutes and pop out onto wax paper to dry.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 8

I just made some fondant buttons to put on cookies. I made a mold of 6 buttons using Amazing Mold Putty. Super easy to make. Just find the buttons you want to make a mold of. I stuck them to a piece of foam core board with double sided tape, mixed up the silicone putty, pressed the putty over the buttons, let set for 20 minutes, peeled it off the foam core board, and ta da- a mold for buttons.

If you want to make a mold of a shankbutton just cut a slit in the foamcore board and push the shank down in the slit. The button is held firmly in place by the foamcore board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%