Airbrush Colors Gone Awry

Decorating By valeo75 Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 5:53pm by valeo75

valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 2

Hubby was awesome last year and purchased an airbrush machine for me. Used it to airbrush one cake and it turned out ok, but the colors seemed to be a bit weird. It was a dinosaur cake, so the muddles colors worked well. Except the "pond" was airbrushed with blue, and turned purple.

Did a second cake where I was going for chocolate brown on the bottom and bright green on the top. I mixed my brown from red & green (Americolor) because I did not have the choc. brown color. On paper it looked great, nice deep brown. On the cake, it turned a rusty purplish color, very odd.

The frosting was IMBC, so it is not a pure white to start with. But I also tested some on American buttercream with Crisco and same thing.

What did I do wrong? Why does everything keep turning these odd shades of purple? Do I really need to get a book on the color wheel? Maybe I got a bad batch of Americolor?

I refuse to use the thing right now because I don't want to mess up another cake, loL! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 reply
valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 2

sorry all, I have no idea why this posted twice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%