Cake Carving Practice

Decorating By newcakester Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 2:57am by jules5000

newcakester Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a carved cake next week and really would like to practice before I start on the cake. I don't want to ruin the actual cake and have to rebake, if possible. Does anyone have ideas on a medium I can use to practice?

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 9

I'd probably bake a second cake and practice myself, if you feel the need to. Sure you could crave down styrofoam or RKTs, but it won't be the same as actually carving a cake, dealing with the crumbs and figuring out what to do if you take too much off.

pattycakesnj Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 9

agree with Texassugar. Buy a cheap cake mix and practice with that even if you are a scratch baker

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 9

Go to Gordon's and buy a "add water only" to the mix cake mix and make a dummy cake out of that to practice with. Or you can make a form cake and do it that way.

CWR41 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcakester

Does anyone have ideas on a medium I can use to practice?

You could practice carving into foam... real foam (like cushions), not styrofoam, and use an electric knife. Or you could carve from Great Stuff (spray foam in a can). I agree that it won't be the same as actual cake, but it's an option. Be careful!

cheatize Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 9

I think a cake mix is going to be the cheapest option.

JulieMN Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:28am
post #7 of 9

I'm with the others, the only thing that will really behave like cake.....is cake.

jules5000 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #8 of 9

and neither are the ingredients. If you have no one to eat it after you do your praciticing I would like to suggest maybe finding a teenager-boys are the most likely source as they do not care about the weight issues and they don't care what it looks like as long as it tastes good. The foam that someone below suggested would be a horrible alternative. I do not know what they pay for foam of that type, but here it is very expensive. Second of all I have tried to cut that foam with a bread knife once, and not for that purpose and it is a headache. You would get nothing but more frustration. If you have a week then you could practice more than once if you wanted to. A dear friend who has been in the wedding cake business for 45+ years says that she freezes all of her cakes before she does any cutting on them. It makes them easier to cut and less crumbs. I have tried that and it works for me too. Make yourself a cake tonight, let it cool and freeze it in the morning. they don't take that long to freeze. Wrap it real good and freeze it. By Sunday afternoon take it out and let it thaw and by sunday evening you can start carving on it. YOu still have about 4 more days and you can make the cake you are going to do as well and have plenty of time to freeze it. Good luck.

jules5000 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #9 of 9

and neither are the ingredients. If you have no one to eat it after you do your praciticing I would like to suggest maybe finding a teenager-boys are the most likely source as they do not care about the weight issues and they don't care what it looks like as long as it tastes good. The foam that someone below suggested would be a horrible alternative. I do not know what they pay for foam of that type, but here it is very expensive. Second of all I have tried to cut that foam with a bread knife once, and not for that purpose and it is a headache. You would get nothing but more frustration. If you have a week then you could practice more than once if you wanted to. A dear friend who has been in the wedding cake business for 45+ years says that she freezes all of her cakes before she does any cutting on them. It makes them easier to cut and less crumbs. I have tried that and it works for me too. Make yourself a cake tonight, let it cool and freeze it in the morning. they don't take that long to freeze. Wrap it real good and freeze it. By Sunday afternoon take it out and let it thaw and by sunday evening you can start carving on it. YOu still have about 4 more days and you can make the cake you are going to do as well and have plenty of time to freeze it. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%