Make A Good Cream Cheese Imbc??

Lounge By Chef_Stef Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 11:39pm by FromScratchSF

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 13

I have a great imbc that I love, but the alternate recipe to make it a 'cream cheese' icing calls for adding cream cheese to it after the butter is added.

Which seems like it would work. icon_confused.gif Only, the last two times I've done that, it ends up sort of separating and looking very strange, as if it's not emulsified. Whipping it longer, seems to make it worse.

Anyone have this happen, or know what to do to fix it? Maybe soften the cream cheese to very soft before adding? I love the taste but the look is unappetizing.

12 replies
onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 13

I was just thinking of cream cheese & IMBC last night. IMBC is my new favorite! Once I get over being afraid of it! I want to know too!

What other flavors can you add to IMBC? I've see these:

Vanilla, Chocolate, Rum, Amaretto, Raspberry, Lemon, Orange, Lime, Strawberry, Blackberry and Lemoncurd.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 13

Hi, i found this topic. It might help

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/678569

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 13

I have done this before and, while VERY delicious, it's just not stable.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 13

Try using the recipe that JanH posted in the recipes section.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 13

I need to make a cream cheese frosting for this weekend. My thought was also to add the cream cheese to IMBC because it is my frosting of choice.

However, I read another post on CC somewhere that indicated that you could whip the cream cheese seperately and then fold it in to the IMBC. I haven't tried it though.

I'm going to try that first, and if all else fails I will add powdered sugar to rescue it!

Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 13

hm, interesting tho not reassuring...

So what do any of you IMBC-only cakers use when someone asks for cream cheese icing?

I do have a cc filling that's awesome, but it's not an icing.

OH! There is a white chocolate cream cheese icing in Rose Levy B's book...I just remembered. Better look that up and see what it is again. I've used that and it's awesome.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 13

Hi, again, I do make smbc an imbc, but never used the cream cheese , simply because i have not read anything good about it. The recipe on this site is made by using smbc recipe , at least the one i saw. It is not imbc. maybe someone that has had great luck with what you want will chime in.I hope so, would like to be reassured myself , before i waste the ingredients. The reviews arent, good about his recipe using the cream cheese, etc. Again , it is smbc recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6987/cream-cheese-italian-meringue-buttercream

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 13

Someone here on CC told me just to add cream cheese to the regular bc, it has worked a little better than just butter cream icing.

What is imbc?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by verosuperstar

Someone here on CC told me just to add cream cheese to the regular bc, it has worked a little better than just butter cream icing.

What is imbc?

IMBC and SMBC are meringue icings...made with eggwhites and gran. sugar and butter.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 13

So what did you come up with Stef?

Chef_Stef Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 13

Well, the white chocolate cream cheese icing could get expensive, since there's no sugar to bulk it, it's just white chocolate, butter, and cream cheese, I think...though I have used it to ice cheesecakes with and it's delish.

Still at the drawing board.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 13

Hello, I actually just submitted my cream cheese SMBC recipe last night, it hasn't posted yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work with IMBC although I have not tried it.

After many MANY trial batches, I finally figured out how to do this, and I've never seen another recipe posted like it. I make this daily so once you get the feel for it you/ll be making it no problem too.

First make your IMBC like you normally would. In a separate bowl, beat room temp cream cheese until smooth. Very smooth. Make sure there are no lumps. Very important. Then beat in your IMBC to the cream cheese, NOT the other way around.

The ratio that works for me is 1 c + 2 tbsp of BC (or, a heaping cup) to 8 oz cream cheese. If you add too much BC it will break and look curdled, to fix this is to add more cream cheese. So, in ANOTHER separate bowl make sure you beat and smooth out additional cream cheese, then add your broken BC to it a bit at a time. It will come together. You'll probably break a few batches until you get the feel for it.

This is great for cupcakes and fillings, I don't like to put it in sides of the cake because it's got a very tart flavor, I think it overpowers the cake. So I'll fill with it, use vanilla or plain BC on the outside then pipe a border with the CCSMBC (but it is softer, so it won't make roses, shells etc.)

Good Luck!

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%