Can You Airbrush Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By catin Updated 14 Jun 2014 , 8:49pm by 2txmedics

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone ,

I am presently making a 3D cake and was wondering if I could , if possible airbrush modelling Chocolate? Cake with be covered in it,to my knowledge I cannot find any cake store in my area that sells powered food colour to help me with coloring the modelling chocolate. Therefore , I would like to know if it is possible and how to go about it ?

TIA

Julie aka Catin
icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, that should work just fine.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 8

Airbrush color will not stick to chocolate, but you can airbrush the colored cocoa butters that are on the market and they work just fine. You can drydust chocolate with lustre dust and that works well and looks fabulous.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 8

it doesn't adhere well at all...........however, you can try mixing the color into the corn syrup before adding it to the melted chocolate if you want to color it with regular americolor gel colors (I do that all the time).......also, americolor sells something called "candy flo-coat" and I use that mixed with americolor gels and color the melted chocolate and then add the corn syrup.....either way works well..........if you need a REALLY dark color like a deep red, it might be hard though

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 8

Thank so much for all you help, I will definately take in and use it to my advantage . I would have never thought of adding the color to the corn syrup before hand .. that is a great one .

thanks again

Julie icon_smile.gif

ChefTaaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefTaaj Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 6:21am
post #6 of 8

AI have airbrushed using the Wilson Gold airbrush and it turned out fine for accents, I wouldn't recommend airbrushing an entire cake though. You can (as stated before) add color to the chocolates during the melting process but the color will always darken when. You add the heated corn syrup.

h0mesweeth0me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h0mesweeth0me Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 8

ALauren kitchens has a great crafty.com video on modeling chocolate. She tints the chocolate with gels and also airbrushed the modeling chocolate with no problems, I have tinted my modeling chocolate. Many times ssuccessfully after the kneeding stage (that allows me to make smaller quantities of a colour). Haven't tried airbrushing though...

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 8

a Everything on Modeling choc. I found last night. Im wanting to try it...so I researched this....

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/?s=modeling+chocolate+

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%