Freetown Boh Licensing?

Decorating By nmarie Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 7:33am by scp1127

nmarie Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 7

I just bought a house in Freetown and then called the local Board of Health to find out how to get licensed, only to find out that they do not license residential kitchens WHATSOEVER in Freetown if zoned in a Residential area. I had no idea! This was my goal for owning my own home! Now I'm stuck! icon_cry.gif

The lady at the Mass DPH told me that a wholesale residential kitchen would have to get licensed through the local BOH the same way, so there would really be no way around it, and the lady at the local BOH told me the only way I could possibly do it would be if I was to get re-zoned, and that would basically be impossible. icon_sad.gif

Has anybody figured out an alternate solution?

6 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 7

I'm just wondering why you didn't make those phone calls before you purchased the house?

jenscreativity Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7

I don't have kids, but dream to. I agree with a lot of people on here b/c I want to sell so badly, but can't either..whaaa..

Anyways, anyone's INCOME , CAREER WORK dreams in life, costs a lot of money to start with whether you have to go to college, open a business and etc..SADLY, INCOME dreams can't happen easy on anyone..That's life,,and those who've been able to accomplish this, didn't come easy for them as they had to pull a lot of money up front and schooling to progress their skills. It's not really the legal issue only, but also being able to open a place up/rent out of a kitchen. Life takes sacrifices,,not away from kids, but how you spend your money wisely like sacrificing thngs you REALLY don't need in life, to save up for your dream.

nmarie Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I'm just wondering why you didn't make those phone calls before you purchased the house?

When I did my research, I read all of the residential kitchen rules and regulations on the website, and I knew I'd have to get my license through the Freetown BOH... I just naively never imagined that they would say no. I'm only 25, and it's my first house, so it's been a learning experience. I absolutely should have called to make absolutely positive that I'd be able to do it. Unfortunately now I'm suffering for my mistake. icon_sad.gif

plymouthcakery Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 7

Ugh, namarie, I'm really sorry that Freetown isn't allowing you to have a residential kitchen. I thought that since it was legal in MA, it would be legal in every town? I actually just went down to my town hall today to start the process for myself. Thankfully it went very smoothly, it just requires a lot of waiting.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by nmarie

I knew I'd have to get my license through the Freetown BOH... I just naively never imagined that they would say no.

If you can show that your business would not have a significant impact on your neighborhood, you may be able to escalate the issue within your town government and get an exception or even change the town zoning laws.

Including a fee structure for these types of low-impact home businesses would help sell your proposal, as municipalities are always looking for new ways to increase revenues. Bringing examples from other nearby towns (in the form of councilmembers and/or business owners) would help too, bonus points if they can explain first-hand the positive impact these businesses have on the community.

scp1127 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 7:33am
post #7 of 7

Do what jasonkraft said. The planning commission is the place to start. But it is not easy. Even if you get it to a public meeting, all of your neighbors will show up and state why they are against it. It isn't pretty, so know what you are in for and make sure you are up to it mentally. Also, before you go that far, be sure you are financially able to do this. This may not be a residential kitchen, but re-zoned commercial. Even a home kitchen can be upwards of $25,000 depending on the requirements. Don't forget estimates from plumbers, electricians, HVAC, etc.

If you are in a subdivision with covenants, and a home business is forbidden, forget it.

In hindsight, had you found a house that met the requirements and had all approvals in writing, you could have probably gotten a loan that covered improvements. You also could have factored your added income into your gross income.

Quote by @%username% on %date%