Will A Giant Cupcake Be Too Heavy?

Decorating By cakeaholic_cakery Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm by cakeaholic_cakery

cakeaholic_cakery Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 6

My baby's first birthday is coming up, and of course I intend on making an over the top cake icon_wink.gif It was going to be three tiers with the top tier a giant cupcake/smash cake... making the "wrapper" out of candy coating. I'm worried though that even with a good support system, this tier will be too heavy? Since I only anticipate 25 or so people at the party, the middle tier was going to be a dummy cake - if that makes any difference... Do you think doing a giant cupcake with a candy coating wrapper as the top tier is a bad idea? TIA!

5 replies
tryingcake Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure I'm following. Putting a tier on a dummy is the same as placing it on a table. Without being ridiculous, of course, anything you can put on a table you can place o a dummy. Make sure you have proper supports on the bottom tier to hold it all up. If you do this, there should not be a problem.

Or are you asking if candy coating is too heavy for the cupcake? I don't think so.

cakeaholic_cakery Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:19am
post #3 of 6

No I was just asking if the weight of the giant cupcake (considering the "wrapper" will be made of candy coating) would be too heavy as a top tier. I did not know that a dummy cake is equivalent/as sturdy as a table (my first time using a dummy) - thanks for that info! i feel much better about this design now icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:33am
post #4 of 6

If the bottom tier is real cake - just make sure you have proper support. You'll be fine. If it's also a dummy - you are super duper fine.

erin2345 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:01am
post #5 of 6

if you check my photos, I have a couple cakes with a jumbo cupcake on top .... I made the liner with gumpaste .... maybe try that, it will be lighter than chocolate. But if you are putting the giant cuppie on a dummy tier, I think you will be fine.

cakeaholic_cakery Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks you guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%