Attach Really Narrow Ribbon

Decorating By suz3 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 8:19pm by jillyscakes

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 9

I want to put really narrow ribbon around a cake at different angles. How do I do this?

8 replies
kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of 9

I bet you could use piping gel. I use it to attach ribbon to my cake boards, around fondant cakes as a border, and such. I think that would work- just not a ton of it so it does not leak.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #3 of 9

Fondant ribbon on fondant? If so you can use water. icon_smile.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 9

No ribbon, ribbon the real skinny kind.

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 9

Tiny dots of royal, the same colour as the cake finish. When you smooth the ribbon in place, some of the royal may ooze out the sides, carefully remove this with a tiny dampened paint brush.

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 9

I had wondered this too when I seen it on some cakes. I know what you mean abuot the gel or icing leeking out the sides but does it not leek through the ribbon and make it look darker at those spots?

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 9

I would use: Tylose Glue with a small paintbrush

In a container with lid, put two tablespoons of warm water and add a quarter teaspoon of CMC or Tylose.

2. Mix the powder with the water. At this time the glue appears not to be blending. Don't worry.

3. Put the lid on the container and leave in the refrigerator overnight and the next day you will have a clearly and ready to use edible glue.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 9

For this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1680548 All I did was use water on the ribbon to get it to stick to the fondant. It might not work the same with butter cream, since fondant becomes a bit tacky when it gets wet.

I then used a dot of icing where the ends overlapped in the back.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 9

If it is fondant then emridsky is right wet ribbon sticks and dries without any marking to fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%