How Do I Make A Spinner On Top Of A Cake?

Decorating By jenniboo Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm by jenniboo

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys and gals,
I'm a hobbyist, so my experience is somewhat limited. However, I do enjoy baking and decorating cakes. I saw a design on the Wilton website a while back called "A New Spin on Aging". Here's the link:
http://www.wilton.com/idea/A-New-Spin-on-Aging
I would love to make this cake next month for my dad, who is turning 50. icon_smile.gif
I see that the products they originally listed to make the spinner on top (such as the "column bolt") are discontinued. I *know* there has to be another way to do this that is just as simple (without using that specific Wilton product). However, I'm a little stumped as I've never made any type of spinning decoration on a cake. Any suggestions that I could use to make this (things that I could find at a local craft store hopefully!) would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif
TIA!

3 replies
jenniboo Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

Anybody? icon_sad.gif

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 4

great idea.........I think the local hardware store would have what your looking for. a bolt that you could cover with fondant. good luck

jenniboo Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks patrice2007! I was thinking along the lines of Michael's/Hobby Lobby but I think you're right. A hardware story is probably just the place to find something. icon_smile.gif Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%