Border Changed Color?

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm by GeorgiaC

sccandwbfan Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

I just finished a cake this morning, I made ivory buttercream to border a chocolate frosted cake. I must have put too much color in it because as it sat there, it got a kind of orangish tint to it. Has this ever happened to you? Has anyone ever tried to spray the borders to change the color?

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 8

Butter cream colors do tend to deepen as they sit. The pro is this helps make darker colors with out having to add as much coloring. The con is if you are a last minute person and use the colors right after you make them, it is hard to color match because the colors will get darker and hour or so after you pipe them on.

cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

NEVER EVER, and I repeat NEVER use Wilton's ivory color. It does this every single time. It changes to that ugly, nasty rust color that looks like the bc turned rancid. The first time we used this color it was in buttercream on a cake we had outside and we watched as it turned color. We were so afraid it had gone bad in the heat, (no sun, under cover) but no, it was fine. Each of the few times we used it, it turned color. Well, we figured it might be something in our recipe. Soooooo, one day I decided to do a cake dummy with a basketweave pattern. I swear, it was my best piping job ever, and then........ it turned that same nasty color. The difference this time is that I used lightweight plaster for my piping. I left the unused portion in the disposable piping bag and kept it. 8 months later, the color of the plaster in the bag is still that perfect ivory color, but the basketweave on the cake, is still that nasty rust color. I will Never use the ivory color again.

sccandwbfan Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both. I've never used the Ivory but I think now that I know what you told me cownsj, I will pass unless I need an ugly rust color for something.

I've been pondering this today and wondering if there's any way that I could cover up the other part of the cake and spray it will some Wilton spray color stuff. icon_smile.gif

Not sure if I will try it or not.

cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

I have a feeling that if you try to spray over this it won't give you the color you hope to get. Since I know the color you got from this, I think you'll end up frustrated and then start from scratch anyway. If it were me, I'd just scrape off the frosting you have on there and start over. Just a touch of brown color to your bc to get the color you want this time. I'm so sorry you had this happen, but I admit that I'm glad to know that we aren't the only ones who have had this happen. It is the nastiest color too, isn't it? At least if it changed to a pretty color, we could still use it, but not this color. UGH.

sccandwbfan Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 8

I wish I had time to scratch it off but it's just a taste cake. icon_smile.gif My church is letting me experiment cakes for the Wed. night meals and I can decorate or not decorate. I hate to make a cake and not do something to it. icon_smile.gif Thanks again for your help.

cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

OHhhh, then under those circumstances, yes, leave it as it. You can always explain how the color came out the way it did, if you feel the need. If you want to spray it, it can't look any worse, and if it does, you can also explain that the original color changed and you were experimenting to see if using the spray would cover up that color. So many things you can do, or not do, under those circumstances. Sounds like taste is the main thing, and while this isn't really a "learning" experience except that you learned not to use the ivory color ever again. At least this didn't happen when it was being made for an important occasion and you were out of time. Thank goodness for that.

GeorgiaC Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 8

You could crumble it all up and make cake balls??? haha

I learned the best ivory color by mistake. Make a cream cheese buttercream with all butter (not shortening). Perfect ivory color

Quote by @%username% on %date%