Any Suggestions For What To Sell At Farmer's Market?

Baking By Spectra Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 1:34pm by Spectra

Spectra Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

So I'm debating on whether or not I should sell at the Farmer's Market. The tables are cheap, and it's crazy busy every Saturday, but I'm trying to figure out what I should have available in regards to how many flavours, etc. So, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has any tips or experience in this area?

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 7

There are tons of things that you could sell. Cookies - any flavor (like 6 in a bag), individual cookies, you could make decorated sugar cookies, fudge, breakfast food, pies, breads, any type of bar (lemon bars, etc). I always sold a few of the exact same things every week and then I would change up two or three things for variety. Good luck!

Spectra Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 7

Awesome, thank you!

cylstrial Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #4 of 7

I forgot things like cupcakes, mini cupcakes, cakes, etc. There are just so many things that you can sell. =o) I even sold hard rock candy a few times and people kept buying them.

OneCreativeCookie Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

In my experience, keep things simple. Choose one or two "standards" that you will have each week and then maybe one or two additional items that rotate each week. You could even post a sign indicating what's in line for the next few weeks giving your customers an idea of what else you offer and what they might get to sample if they come back another week! (BTW - my favorite way to do this is in a nice frame on my table - simple, inexpensive, but professional, too!)

Also, since you will have to make a bunch of "inventory" for the market, you might think in advance about where you want anything left-over to go. Maybe there are people you'd like to share your items with as "marketing" or perhaps there is a shelter or food bank that could accept anything extra you have (and then you have a write-off for the donation!).

Good luck and have fun!!

Evoir Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:11am
post #6 of 7

I would suggest the sort of things that YOU are comfortable making, and familiar with as a place to start, be it cookies, small cakes (eg 6 - 8 inch size) and cupcakes. Kids at stalls LOVE buying a pretty cupcake with loads of colourful frosting!

The other things I KNOW that sell well from experience are:
- fudge, in small squares, eg packet of 4 squares
- homemade brownies
- homemade nougat (expensive to buy in shops, but cheap to manufacture), again sold in bars or strips.
- rocky road

Spectra Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 7

Great, thanks everyone! I want to specialize in decorated cookies and cookie bouquets. You can't buy decorated cookies here unless you go to Starbucks, Chapters, and/or Second Cup, and their cookes are just not that yummy at all. Nobody makes them here, so I really want to get into that. Our Farmer's Market is huge here for anyone wanting to buy anything local, and since our city is big on the "local" product it works out well.

I think I'll always have my vanilla and chocolate rolled sugar cookies, with RI, and then do some special flavour combos, though not sure yet what flavours work well together or are popular.

Quote by @%username% on %date%