How To--Beer Mug Cake / Sugar Beer Stream Questions!

Sugar Work By carmenid Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 9:56pm by carmenid

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,

I have to do a 25th b-day cake for one of my friends. I like the idea of the beer mug cake, kind of like this one that I found in the gallery: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1376665

I have a few questions:

What size round pan should I use for the beer mug?

what are the logistics for the beer stream? how it is done and is it sturdy enough to stand up on it's own or does it need any sort of support?

13 replies
carmenid Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 14

I am going to change my question to what is the easiest way to replicate the beer stream, anyone?

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 14

It looks like it can be HARD(dried), THICK Gumpaste/fondant that was drying with the can on top of it, so it's glued together, then stuck into the cake. Hope this makes sense. You can use like brown/yellow gumpaste/fondant and add the shimmering to it to give it that look.

Then as far as size of rounds, it I would use like 6/8" round pans, about 3/4 of them and stack them with dowel rod going through.

best of luck,
jenifer

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 14

BTW! If you read down below on the comments, there are hints of ideas and also she stated a lot of her instructions if you read below her pic. AND, you can google up hard candy recipe and make it like how she explained down below in comments. There is a lot of info in commenting and under her pic. Read them to help you also.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 14

For the beer stream all you have to do is use sugar and corn syrup, equal parts of each, and heat them to a hard crack stage. Get a dowel and a silpat, pour the sugar syrup onto the silpat and place dowell onto the center; roll the dowel around the sugar until it starts to harden a bit. Let it dry. When you stick it into the cake balance a dry clean can on the end.

There's a youtube video that shows how to prepare the sugar syrup.
Hope this helps!
Chris

carmenid Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 14

thanks Chris!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 14

I made mine from 4 6" cakes. The stream I used fondant over a dowel rod and then stuck the can on top. It's a super easy cake to make.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 14

Oh- but make sure you leave a lot of time for the handle to dry! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 14

When I made a similar cake I just used a dowel rod with tinted piping gel. Super easy!!

carmenid Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 14

Sisa, how did you do that? I can imagine it sliding off the dowel rod, how did you get to stay on?

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 14

thanks for the info.

tonyas_jewels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyas_jewels Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 14

when i did mine i used 3- 6 x 3" pans, and i used buttercream on the dowel rod, worked out perfectly

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 14

The piping gel does not slide. It is thick enough to stick to the dowel. It was super easy...Carmen

carmenid Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 14

thanks for the help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%