Following Suit...how I Set Up For My Tastings (Link Inside)

Decorating By BethLS Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm by kristanashley

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

Since I've been reading a lot of posts lately asking about tastings, and I saw ConfectionsCC posted her photos (great btw) I thought I'd add mine icon_smile.gif

Maybe we could start a sticky with all of our photos for those new to caking?

Or if this doesn't work, just copy and paste this URL into your browser and scroll down to the images icon_smile.gif
http://thecakeladymi.goods.officelive.com/Prices.aspx

7 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 8

Thank you for sharing your photos. I love the look of the tiered plates and the cake in glasses. Very nice!

BethLS Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 8

Thankyou!

Now all I need to do is invest in another stand (getting rid of the small plates) and glasses for frostings and I'll be content icon_biggrin.gif

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #4 of 8

That is such a great idea. I had my first tasting a few days ago... it was interesting to say the least. icon_smile.gif Making mental notes for next time. Thanks!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:58am
post #5 of 8

How many people do you have that set up for? 4 people? Seems like a ton of cake!

If anyone is interested, here's mine...

http://picasaweb.google.com/jenniferbratko/WeddingCakeTasting#

I don't have a storefront so I meet people at Peets. I have 2 mini cupcake trays, one has the cake, the other has buttercream and fillings. I have the cake out on plates and forks/napkins for them to mix/match as they want. It works for me because it's portable yet I can still show some artistry by making the buttercream roses etc. I re-use my cupcake trays. I dream of the day I can do a tasting in my own space, complete with towers, trays, and wine!

I get mixed responses to this set up, I think I sometimes give too many options (because I go a little overboard with buttercream/filling flavors) and some people get overwhelmed. But oh well, it works for now.

I came up with this, I've never seen anyone else do it this way here (I may be wrong but I don't think so) so if you are in SF you are NOT allowed to borrow this idea icon_razz.gif Everyone else is OK icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

How many people do you have that set up for? 4 people? Seems like a ton of cake!

If anyone is interested, here's mine...

http://picasaweb.google.com/jenniferbratko/WeddingCakeTasting#

I don't have a storefront so I meet people at Peets. I have 2 mini cupcake trays, one has the cake, the other has buttercream and fillings. I have the cake out on plates and forks/napkins for them to mix/match as they want. It works for me because it's portable yet I can still show some artistry by making the buttercream roses etc. I re-use my cupcake trays. I dream of the day I can do a tasting in my own space, complete with towers, trays, and wine!

I get mixed responses to this set up, I think I sometimes give too many options (because I go a little overboard with buttercream/filling flavors) and some people get overwhelmed. But oh well, it works for now.

I came up with this, I've never seen anyone else do it this way here (I may be wrong but I don't think so) so if you are in SF you are NOT allowed to borrow this idea icon_razz.gif Everyone else is OK icon_biggrin.gif

Don't worry, I'm in the Midwest. But I love your idea! I would use it for a take away box though. But seriously, it's great!!

BethLS Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 8

This is a setup for four people, tasting four different flavors of cake, and three different frostings.

I bake once for every two tastings I do....I bake off four 9" rounds (I usually do chocolate, vanilla, marble and pumpkin spice or red velvet) so I am really only making three batters (because white and chocolate=marble, lol) and slice off half of each round cake for my tasting, the rest goes in the freezer for the next one. I only make one batch of frosting (buttercream). I scoop a small amount out of the mixer. Add creamcheese. Scoop small amount out. Add in chocolate to remaining icing in mixer, and now I have three icings too icon_smile.gif

Very simple and zero waste.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 8

I guess I do things a little differently. I let the bride choose 3 flavors of cake/filling/icing and I bake them in 3" ramekins. I slice them in half, fill, and pipe on the icing. I keep batter frozen, and scoop off a little to bake my tasting cakes with. I'm a home baker, and I feel uncomfortable offering tastings in my home, so I set up at my church fellowship hall (on Sunday afternoons), and plate everything nicely. My tastings are complimentary - it's expected around here. I've booked every tasting I've ever done, so it seems to work for me. icon_smile.gif I think for the low volume of weddings that I do, this works the best for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%