Well Here's An Interesting Exercise...fellow Biz Friends

Lounge By Chef_Stef Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm by LindaF144a

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 10

If you have Facebook...try searching the word "Cake" and see how many 'local businesses' come up in your area.

With full pictures of their work, obviously taking paid orders, logos, etc.

No website. No shop address. Cell phone number only.

Then mentally drive through your town, and see how many of them have STOREFRONTS that you recognize.

Hmmm. So many things to wonder...

Is it me? Or am I just super crabby right now? LOVE to hear your opinions.

icon_evil.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif

9 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 10

Search in the search box at the top of the screen? I did that and came up with nothing. It sent me to a Bing page that gave me one real hit and that person doesn't seem to have a website. Good news for me, perhaps?

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:22am
post #3 of 10

Possibly.

Its like craigs list....anyone can advertise. wow

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 10

Speaking only for myself,

No shop address: I am by appointment only. I do not want people stopping by.

No website: My pictures are on facebook. If someone wants more info. they IM me and I send them to the site.

No storefront: At this time, I don't choose to do storefront hours, although I have choice of two buildings I own.

This is just one explaination, I will be interested to hear others opinions.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

Speaking only for myself,

No shop address: I am by appointment only. I do not want people stopping by.

No website: My pictures are on facebook. If someone wants more info. they IM me and I send them to the site.

No storefront: At this time, I don't choose to do storefront hours, although I have choice of two buildings I own.

This is just one explaination, I will be interested to hear others opinions.

i'm in the same boat, except i do this out of my home, so the only people that get my address are customers who are picking up, sending payment, or meeting me for a consultation.
and even though my BF does webpages and is waiting patiently to do mine... i can't decide what i want so it's still not done.

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 10

I'm by appt only, because I'm a custom shop, not a walk in place, and I'm only there when I'm working on cakes, and my sign is still sitting in my garage because we haven't hung it yet. BUT I don't keep the shop a secret. I've rented kitchens before, so I understand not having an address, but to advertise this way looks pretty fishy to those of us who've put the blood, sweat, and tears into buying, building, insuring, networking and advertising, and working with the hd to have our dream.

Just sayin...

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 10

It appears you may have misunderstood. I too have put in the money. I am fully licensed, insured and legal with the hd. I run all commercial equipment. I just choose to run my business on my terms.

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 10

I haven't misunderstood, and I think we all run our businesses on our own terms; that goes without saying. If you're legal, then you don't need to worry about it.

What I'm pointing out is that I would hope people who AREN'T legal, would not have the nerve to advertise like this.

I'm too irritated to even say anything else, so I'll get back to work now. Just a word to the wise...that kind of advertising doesn't strike shop owners in the regular business community as legit, no matter if it is or not.

Back to work now--bye.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 10

Is there a chance that they have no idea what they are doing is illegal? How many people have posted about selling cakes on here have no idea you can't do it from home?

I had students in my Wilton class last night, when this subject came up, that were surprised you couldn't sell cakes from your home. Happens al the time when the subject comes up.

There are people that know and aren't worried about getting caught, but there are people they just have no idea at all.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 10

I just tried this and I got nothing. Except it said that one of the cake places that I am a Facebook fan of is a "local" business. Thing is I live in the NE and he lives in HI. I wish it was local for me.........

Other than that all I got were all the other "cake" places I liked on FB. I was surprised at how many I liked actually........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%