Tooth Fairy Rates

Lounge By heyjules Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 3:47am by cabecakes

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:33am
post #1 of 23

How much does the tooth fairy leave your little ones? My poor 7 year old is trying so desperatly to save up for an American Girl doll. (they sent a magazine in the mail! I would have NEVER told her about them!) So, 2 months in she's only managed 10 bucks. I was thinking of slipping her a 5 to help, but my husband thinks I'm crazy. I usually give $2, and he doesn't want her to expect $5 to be the going rate now.

22 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:43am
post #2 of 23

I'd go $20 and say it must have been for a "special" tooth this time.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 23

We did $5 for the first tooth. Even among my 7 year old's friends, there seems to be a big discrepancy...from $1 to $20!! The tooth fairy left a special note for the second tooth, which was swallowed (!) and he treasures that more than the money. Saved it in his special box.

Do you give your child an allowance? My boys (5 and 7) get a weekly allowance. It is their choice how they use it, and they usually save it for a larger toy. There were a few early lessons in dollar store junk (toy breaking almost right away, money gone!) and since then they tend to save it all. My 5 year old, impulsive as any 5 year old, has $45 saved at the moment.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 23

We do $2.00 for each tooth...

heyjules Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 23

We ended up settling on $3, and she was thrilled with that. LOL, he swallowed his tooth! That's so funny!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 23

$10 here. DS#4 just lost the last baby teeth in the family. Sob. My babies are all grown up. Sob

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 23

We do a dollar. I guess we're cheap. icon_smile.gif

My mom told me that kids in her neighborhood are getting Webkinz for their teeth. I think they're usually $15-$20.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenKat

$10 here. DS#4 just lost the last baby teeth in the family. Sob. My babies are all grown up. Sob

Holy cow!!! $10 for every tooth?My oldest lost two this week, and my youngest two last week! I'd be broke!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 23

For the first tooth they got a dollar. Every tooth after that is 25 cents. Except for teeth that get knocked out (2) or swallowed (1). Those are also worth a dollar. Oh and except when the tooth fairy "forgets". Then they get 50 cents.

I have 3 kids 8, 8, and 6. That's a whole lotta teeth.

heyjules Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 23

A Webkinz for a tooth? How the heck does the kid think the tooth fairy dragged that in? =)

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 12:59am
post #11 of 23

what the heck is a Webkinz?

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:46am
post #12 of 23

We've been doing $1 for a tooth so far. It'll probably be bumped up to $5 for molars, but since my oldest is only 6, that won't be for a while, lol.

I like the idea of giving $20 for a "special" tooth. Maybe put a note from the tooth fairy explaining that there was something extra special about that tooth, so she just had to leave more....or something. icon_lol.gif

heyjules Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #13 of 23

A Webkinz is a pet that you can also play with online...my daughter went through that stage awhile back, but now they're probably dying online (or whatever happens to them if you stop playing with them)...which I think I'll point out to her if she ever asks for a real pet.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #14 of 23

We've always given $1 - I think we always will, even though it will be quite some time before our youngest (16 mo) will lose her last tooth!

I know you already dealt with it, but under the "special" circumstances, I love the idea of giving more $$ via the tooth fairy. There are those times when they are saving up that you want so desperately to help but don't want to just fork over the money and set a precedent - I love the tooth fairy idea.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 2:07am
post #15 of 23

We usually give a few dollars or maybe a dollar coin for the novelty of it. Our kids have had to have some baby teeth pulled though for overcrowding.. because of the trauma of pulling them the tooth fairy brings little dollar store toys or magic tricks instead of money.

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 23

My daughter has lost 2 teeth so far. For her first, she got $10. For her second, she got $5. We told her that first teeth are special and that the tooth fairy will probably only leave $5 from now on.

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 23

I got a $20 for each of my 4 wisdom teeth when I was in college... I put them under the pillow as a joke, and well, let's just say I'm guessing the tooth fairy doesn't see a lot of wisdom teeth! It was a great lol.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 23

We do $2 if the tooth fairy just happens to remember to show up the first night the tooth is put under the pillow. If she didn't make it because of circumstances out of her hands (oops!) she'll usually throw in an extra apologetic dollar. icon_wink.gif My brother gives $20 a tooth which blows my mind. I can't imagine giving a kid that much money for accomplishing ... well, really ... normal growth.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:07pm
post #19 of 23

My son swallowed a tooth when he was about 5... so he awoke to find his tooth fairy money tucked into the back of his underoos! lol

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:36am
post #20 of 23

Between $3-$5 depending on what the tooth fairy has at the moment.

cinz87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinz87 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:38pm
post #21 of 23

I don't think its a problem to vary the rates.. it would reduce expectation I think.. well at least your child won't expect a certain sum every time..

kaytkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytkat Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

My son swallowed a tooth when he was about 5... so he awoke to find his tooth fairy money tucked into the back of his underoos! lol

Oh that is hilarious! Great idea! hehehe

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:47am
post #23 of 23

When my kids were little and they were saving for a larger toy, we would give them little "chores" to do around the house. We usually only gave a dollar. With 5 kids there is no way we could leave $20.00. That would break the bank. Love the underoos idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%