Black Fondant

Decorating By SkBriBri Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm by SkBriBri

SkBriBri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkBriBri Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 20

Ok Sooo I would love to do cakes with black and red fondant. But ....I use Gell colors, no matter How much color I use my Fondant never ever becomes black or red. It's either Grey or Pink. I do make my oun Fondant. Do u guys buy yours or make your oun for these colors, or is there a diff coloring that I should be using ? Thanks for ur help

19 replies
MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 20

I buy those colors now. Or you can start out with a fondant mix closer to those colors. Grey to black, or color a pinkish to red. I haven't done it, but read that it's easier. I've also read people will use chocolate fondant to get to black.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 20

I use Duff's black and red fondant. They are easy to work with and taste pretty good too.

cupcakeqt72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeqt72 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:20am
post #4 of 20

I just made black fondant by adding black to chocolate fondant I purchased. The Minnie Mouse cake in my photos is what I used it on.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #5 of 20

Agree with what's posted, start with chocolate fondant. For red, you'll just have to keep adding lots and lots and lots and lots and lots...I just buy the ready made for these colors, I like the intensity of the color better.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:51am
post #6 of 20

I am super committed to making as much as possible from scratch, but I threw in the towel when it comes to making black and red fondant and just buy Satain Ice now for those colors. By the time I achieved the color I wanted with my homemade stuff it tasted like the tub of gel coloring. And a really embarassing side effect in using that much coloring was to actually dye the colons of those who ate enough of it - true story, I made red fondant once, hubbie ate it, then panicked the next day after using the toilet. icon_eek.gif But don't tell him I just posted this on a national internet forum. He'd kill me icon_evil.gif I've also made a green velvet cake when I first started baking that, lets just say, left a mark on everyone that had it at the party. LOL

Anyway, commercial fondant tastes marginally better then straight gel color, and now that I am super paranoid, I know they are a little more, ahem, colon friendly. icon_biggrin.gif

heyjules Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:58am
post #7 of 20

tLOL! that's so funny!

heyjules Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #8 of 20

sorry, I was laughing and typed a t before the LOL.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I am super committed to making as much as possible from scratch, but I threw in the towel when it comes to making black and red fondant and just buy Satain Ice now for those colors. By the time I achieved the color I wanted with my homemade stuff it tasted like the tub of gel coloring. And a really embarassing side effect in using that much coloring was to actually dye the colons of those who ate enough of it - true story, I made red fondant once, hubbie ate it, then panicked the next day after using the toilet. icon_eek.gif But don't tell him I just posted this on a national internet forum. He'd kill me icon_evil.gif I've also made a green velvet cake when I first started baking that, lets just say, left a mark on everyone that had it at the party. LOL

Anyway, commercial fondant tastes marginally better then straight gel color, and now that I am super paranoid, I know they are a little more, ahem, colon friendly. icon_biggrin.gif

OMG this is SO funny and true. But you know, even the black Satin Ice will give you a little extra um, color. icon_smile.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I use Duff's black and red fondant. They are easy to work with and taste pretty good too.

Just used some this week for a bridal shower cake for a friend. It was delish and easy to work with. I used a half-off coupon at Michael's, because it was also pricey.

Worked some of the black into my burgundy Toba Garrett's fondant for the right shade of maroon.

SkBriBri Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 20

Humm I will have to look for Duffy's. I have only seen Wiltons gells there before. Buahah yeah coloring can be dangerous sometimes, I have heard many storys. I also find the taste of red coloring very very strong... I don't notice it with any other colors. Does anyone have a good recipie for choco fondant?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:10am
post #12 of 20

Duff's fondant, which is Fondarific, is a little soft, but ya know what, for $11 (with the coupon) it's worth the buy. I found SatinIce easier to work with but can't get it for under $17 (in-store, or online once shipping has been added). As an aside - I met a lady at Michael's today who swears she bought SI at Global SA for under $10 during some insane sale - I've gotta check my newsletters more often!

I've tried making chocolate fondant and a) found the chocolate fondant VERY hard to work with and b) still found it hard to get a deep dark black (but certainly possible compared to the grey you get when you start with white fondant). You have to put in so much gel color, it drove me mad! It's OK for tiny batches like accent pieces but never again would I try to cover a cake with it. The only reason my GnR cake has a weird "frame" around the top edge is because the fondant was ripping and shredding like nobody's business icon_mad.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:26am
post #13 of 20

I think I may have found a way to make red fondant. I started with pink marshmellows. I found them in my local walmart. Didn't have to use so much red coloring.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:55am
post #14 of 20

do you guys find that duffs fondant takes alot longer to harden for bow loops etc than other brands? I find I have to make them almost a full week in advance

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:47am
post #15 of 20

I use chocolate Fondarific and mix in black works great. If making bows knead in some Tylose. Helps the fondant firm up and dry faster. As for red start with pink and then add red. You can also use powdered red coloring if making your own fondant. Mix into the melted marshmallows. If you don't want chocolate start with brown gel coloring and then add black.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:35am
post #16 of 20

sugar flar is decent as well i used it.. plus adding it to chocolate fondant plus i tend to add other colors to balancec out the brown... blue usually helps if u dont want to use chocolate fondant then i would use an equal ammount of yellow blue and red together with some black those colors usually make up black.. ur color doesnt come out gray because it has other colors into it

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:15pm
post #17 of 20

I've seen red candy melts used to make a red fondant, so maybe try black candy melts?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:12pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat1

do you guys find that duffs fondant takes alot longer to harden for bow loops etc than other brands? I find I have to make them almost a full week in advance

I too have found that Duff's fondant takes a very long time to dry. Which is something I love while I'm working with it; I can cut pieces well ahead of time and just continue to work and not wrapping and unwrapping constantly. When we made tires, they were still as soft as the day they were made, several days later. If I want to make something that needs to setup, (in black), then I stick with satin ice

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #19 of 20

If you use Americolor Super red and super black you don't need much color and it comes out true colors. I was not sure when I first used it but will never go back...

SkBriBri Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm
post #20 of 20

What is the powdered color like? I was looking up some stuff last night and saw it. I have never actually seen it in stores through

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%