Quest For The Perfect Fondant

Decorating By countrycaker Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 2:52pm by ycknits

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:15pm
post #61 of 62

I'm a firm believer of MMF, I use it for everything. I have never found a problem with drying, I add more icing sugar to the fondant that I am making flowers, shoes or whatever out of and it dries beautifully in 2 - 3 days, it is not hard but firm enough to stand without support and soft enough to bite into.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:52pm
post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

This thread inspired me to try MFF today. Easy to make, but the proof will be in the rolling and application tomorrow. It seems to dry really firmly (on the dough hook), but is still soft when kneading (??) - I hope I haven't wrecked it somehow :-/

Evoir - that sounds right to me. The MFF is soft and workable.... and it does 'dry' or set up with a good crust. I've found that trimming off any rough or torn edges on my fondant circle, before I lift it over my cake, helps prevent unwanted tears in the fondant. I just take my pastry cutter and trim all round the edges of my rolled out fondant to make sure there are no rough edges before lifting.

Because the fondant is fairly soft, I also refrigerate or freeze my buttercream iced cake for 10 minutes or so before covering with fondant.... just to make sure it's firmed up a bit.

Good luck! Let us know what you think after covering a cake with the MFF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%