Traveling With Cake

Decorating By mjordan Updated 5 Oct 2005 , 2:09am by mjordan

mjordan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjordan Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:06am
post #1 of 10

I am planning to transport a cake frozen, unassembled from Texas to California for my sister-in-laws wedding. I will be flying.
Has anyone ever done this before?
Any ideas on the best way to freeze and/or transport the cake?

Thanks.

9 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 10

Call the Airport and ask about this because of the security.

Don't want to have your cake torn all to pieces if they have to inspect it...they won't be as careful with it as you would.

What size cake, round or square?

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 10

I have traveled from NC to LV with all of my decorating equipment to do cakes for my sons engagement. It was rough trying to get through the security check. Especially with my flower nails! But I was able to talk it through! I personally would not travel with the cakes. Is there no where or no one to bake them for you ahead of time? Helen

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 10

The way the airport treats and loses luggage, I would be leary to transport all of that hard work. That with the possibility that they could lose my equipment. What then? To replace the equipment would cost a pretty penny.
I am travelling from St. Louis to Florida to make a cake for my godson next month. I am making the cakes this month and freezing them according to sugarcraft.com's directions. I will then put them from the freezer into refrigerated bags that you can get from Sam's or Costco, and driving to florida. It's just not worth it, the cost and work. Good luck to you.
Vicky, MO

mjordan Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:21am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your input.
They are square cakes.
I plan to take them unfrosted and carry them on board with me.
We will be staying in a house, so I could possibly bake them there but I won't get there until Thursday night and the wedding is Friday.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 1:58am
post #6 of 10

Have you thought about making the cakes and mailing them ups or fedex. you might want to call them and see if it can be done. That way you know that they will get there. I know ups does ship food my FIL got a pie from some bakery in NY that was delivered here in FL in 24 hrs.

mjordan Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:55am
post #7 of 10

I ended up freezing the cakes and buttercream and taking them in a travel cooler as a carry-on. They arrived without problems. I packed the pans and all recipes just in case.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:57am
post #8 of 10

Glad you made out alright.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 1:00am
post #9 of 10

What's a travel cooler? I've never heard of that before. Glad it worked out for you!

mjordan Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 2:09am
post #10 of 10

I had never seen a travel cooler either. My husband found it at Academy. It is soft and has wheels and a handle just like a carry on bag. It fit in the overhead bin of the airplane.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%