Planet Cake White Mud Cake Recipe

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 3 Feb 2015 , 12:02pm by redvictory

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:20am
post #31 of 46

...I should note that I do use a little Simple Syrup on my mud cakes, which may make a difference to the moistness. ( I REALLY cant stand dry cake!)

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:36am
post #32 of 46

It tastes great with Malibu (or Coconut essence) & White Choc Ganache too!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:37am
post #33 of 46

I freeze my cakes for at least 24 hours straight after they cool which also seems to make a difference to the moistness.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:43am
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

It tastes great with Malibu (or Coconut essence) & White Choc Ganache too!

Ooh, I imagine Malibu would be good in it, might have to give that one a try...

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 6:21pm
post #35 of 46

Hi, I am going to try the White Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe. I am in the US. What size cake pan should I use? I only have 2 inch pans. Thanks. And can anyone tell me about the icing recipes with liquior in them in the earlier posts?

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 28 Feb 2012 , 9:50pm
post #36 of 46

Just a heads up for anybody using the Planet Cake Chocolate Mudcake recipe from their first book.

There is a MISTAKE.

In the ingredient list it states :- 480g or 1lb1ox or 1-3/4cups of caster sugar

1-3/4 cups of caster sugar is only equal to 385grams

I don't use this recipe but is is virtually identical to the one in The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating- which uses 480g or 15ounces (but has NO cup measurement) so I suspect if you use the grams you should be right.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 1:59am
post #37 of 46

Okay I have two questions for all you fab bakers out there -- First, is mud cake a good scratch cake for carving? Or would you recommend something different?

Second, on the egg yolks and egg whites -- I'm into "weighing" everything lately, including egg whites. Is there a chart as to how much 3 or 4 (or however many) egg whites should weigh?

lisa198107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa198107 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 2:26am
post #38 of 46

Mudcake is probably all I use for my cakes. People LOVE it. They say it is the best mud cake they have ever had. It is easy to make, great for stacking, great for carving, I can make it several days in advance and it still taste great (in fact it tastes best on the 4th day). I also replace the liquid to make several variations(lemon poppyseed and strawberry) and the cake is so good it does not need a filling. In fact the more simple the better. Here is the recipe I use which is fantastic

350 g dark chocolate or white chocolate
225 g butter
600 mls water
3 eggs
400 g self rising flour
400 g caster sugar

Line a 9" round pan (can use any size but ingredient amounts vary). Heat oven to fan bake, 165 degrees C, Place chocolate, butter and water in a pan and heat on low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Take off heat and cool. Once cooled slightly whisk eggs and add liquid mixture to eggs slowly while still whisking. Add flour and sugar and whisk until combined. Don't over mix (there will be white lumps of flour but these will be cut off when you cut top off the cake). Bake for anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. (totally varies on oven and what mixture you are using). When wooden skewer comes out clean it is done. This is very forgiving recipe so just bake until its finished.

Really important to note - you need to line the pan as well as place baking paper on top as this will keep mudcake from cracking and will keep it evenly baked. I cover cake in ganache and it is AMAZING. It tastes a little watery first day but gets better until the 4th day it is at its best. Can easily be made into cupcakes. I get 36 out of this recipe.
If you want lemon poppyseed (replace 1/3 of liquid with lemon juice, use white chocolate and add 1/4 cup of poppyseeds - add lemon zest for a more tart flavour)

samma93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samma93 Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 12:04am
post #39 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa198107 

Mudcake is probably all I use for my cakes. People LOVE it. They say it is the best mud cake they have ever had. It is easy to make, great for stacking, great for carving, I can make it several days in advance and it still taste great (in fact it tastes best on the 4th day). I also replace the liquid to make several variations(lemon poppyseed and strawberry) and the cake is so good it does not need a filling. In fact the more simple the better. Here is the recipe I use which is fantastic

350 g dark chocolate or white chocolate
225 g butter
600 mls water
3 eggs
400 g self rising flour
400 g caster sugar

Line a 9" round pan (can use any size but ingredient amounts vary). Heat oven to fan bake, 165 degrees C, Place chocolate, butter and water in a pan and heat on low heat until melted, stirring constantly. Take off heat and cool. Once cooled slightly whisk eggs and add liquid mixture to eggs slowly while still whisking. Add flour and sugar and whisk until combined. Don't over mix (there will be white lumps of flour but these will be cut off when you cut top off the cake). Bake for anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. (totally varies on oven and what mixture you are using). When wooden skewer comes out clean it is done. This is very forgiving recipe so just bake until its finished.

Really important to note - you need to line the pan as well as place baking paper on top as this will keep mudcake from cracking and will keep it evenly baked. I cover cake in ganache and it is AMAZING. It tastes a little watery first day but gets better until the 4th day it is at its best. Can easily be made into cupcakes. I get 36 out of this recipe.
If you want lemon poppyseed (replace 1/3 of liquid with lemon juice, use white chocolate and add 1/4 cup of poppyseeds - add lemon zest for a more tart flavour)

if i want to add malibu how much would i add and do i have to add or replace anything

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 12:29am
post #40 of 46

Replace part of the water amount.

Depending on how strong you want the flavour to be - 60ml or 1/4 cup, 80ml or 1/3 cup, but no more than 120ml or 1/2 cup .. I would aim for 1/4 cup with a bit a coconut extract to boost the taste {??}

cjmcerlean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjmcerlean Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 9:00am
post #41 of 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviles2005 

I never made a mud cake and have been wanting to try the recipe. How does this cake hold up for wedding cakes? I would like to try a mud cake recipe.. I need to look it up... thanks for the idea. Im going to keep a look out for the while mudcake recipe.. see if that worth trying too

I used the Planet Cake Chocolate Mud Cake for my sisters wedding cake.  (Not the white chocolate cake recipe).  It worked well although I didn't need to use dowels because of my cake stand.

The additional thing is a few months before the wedding I cooked off a number of different cake recipes cut into portions and covered them in marzipan and fondant icing.  

Over the weeks I tested them with a panel of friends and family.  The one that lasted the longest was the Planet Cake Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe.  We stopped testing at 8 weeks and it was still tasting fresh.  With this knowledge I knew I could bake this cake and take my time over the decoration once it was covered in sugarpaste.

cjmcerlean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjmcerlean Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 9:02am
post #42 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns 

Okay I have two questions for all you fab bakers out there -- First, is mud cake a good scratch cake for carving? Or would you recommend something different?

Second, on the egg yolks and egg whites -- I'm into "weighing" everything lately, including egg whites. Is there a chart as to how much 3 or 4 (or however many) egg whites should weigh?

I would recommend a maderia cake for carving.  Planet Cake has a basic Maderia cake that works every time and is good for carving.

nabiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nabiki Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 11:46pm
post #43 of 46

AAlso from the U.S. here. There are like 4 different Planet Cake books on Amazon. Which book do you guys recommend for these fabulous mud cakes?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 9:18am
post #44 of 46

AI think mud cake is a great sturdy cake for carving. It's quite dense and stable so you can produce crazy shapes with it.

In terms of egg yolk and white weights, in a commercial pastry kitchen we weighed everything. For the large Australian eggs which are 59g each, we would get about 50g egg without shell; of this, roughly 30g was white and 20g was yolk. Why don't you get in the habit of weighing the next few dozen eggs you separate, and get a feel for the average weight of the parts of your eggs? Then if you need 120g of white, you know you will need about 4 eggs.

Sorry about the metric measurements - I'm used to working in grams. A rough conversion is for 2 oz eggs, there's 1 oz white and 2/3 oz yolk. That's very rough though!!!

nabiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nabiki Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 12:38pm
post #45 of 46

AAlso from the U.S. here. There are like 4 different Planet Cake books on Amazon...which one would you guys recommend for these fabulous mud cake recipes?:grin:

redvictory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redvictory Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 12:02pm
post #46 of 46

I use this recipe all the time...and is always a hit a very moist mud cake ... I cover with chocolate ganache and fondant....this is my favourite cake recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%