International Cake Exploration Society Ices

Decorating By cakesage Updated 4 Feb 2011 , 7:33am by Apti

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 10

Was wondering if anyone is a member of ICES? Been checking out their website and would like to know if as a newbie, is it worth it to join?

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 10

I'm a member, mainly because if you are you get a discounted rate when you go to the convention.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 10

You also get the ices magazine every month, which has vendors to buy from, beautiful cake ideas , and upcoming classes all over the US.

I love it, and ditto the convention

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:21am
post #4 of 10

I too am a member of ICES. In addition to those things mentioned above some states have semi-annual Days of Sharing which you can attend at a member rate versus a non-member rate.

By all means, consider it!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #5 of 10

I am also a member, I have enjoyed the Days of Sharing, sometimes there are demos and sometimes full weekend classes offered. I enjoy the magazine and have met many fabulous cake decorators in my area through ICES.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 10

I'm also an ICES member. I have met a lot of nice people through our days of sharing that I might not have met otherwise, because so many people can't go to convention every year. It's been great for me.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 10

I'm a member too. Our DOS are always chocked full of ideas and demos. I've made lots of new friends too. I just had a tutorial printed in their last newsletter I wrote (woo hoo!) and I also became an ICES approved teacher. It's just like a giant international cake club, had scholarships, conventions, days of sharing and you really get of it what you want.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:21am
post #8 of 10

Hi,
I was a member because I wanted to go to convention last year ( and it was awesome!!) and got a better rate if I was a member.

However, in my state we don't have any ICES days of sharing and I can't go to convention this year so the $60 annual fee is too hefty for just the newsletter alone. I asked if we could get the newsletter alone but they don't do that. ( darn!)

Check to see if your state has any DOS. If you plan to attend convention, they the fee is well worth it.

KimAZ

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 10

I became a member some years ago as I was planning to attend my first convention (didn't work out) I quit being a member after my 2 yr membership ran out. If I wanted to renew, the cost was more than double my original fees, as ICEs had to raise their prices.
I'm in an area where there is no days of sharing, no nothing really, so it wasn't worth my while paying $75 a year for just a thin monthly magazine/newsletter.

I did however enjoy the magazine/newsletters and have them all saved in a binder. If you live where you can take advantage of everything ICEs has to offer, I'd say go for it, if not, don't.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 7:33am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm a member, mainly because if you are you get a discounted rate when you go to the convention.

Ditto.

It was worth $60 to see a photo of one of the display cakes I made for the 2010 Convention in the newsletter!!! I was SOOOO excited and immediately called my family and all my cake friends and teachers. My cake is the Party Pastels 3 tier on page 13 of the January 2011 newsletter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%