Oil Colours - Which Brand Do You Use?

Decorating By zespri Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm by cakeandpartygirl

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 4

I am about to invest in a full set of oil based candy colours. I've already got a couple of Americolors, and tried them out yesterday. I was a little disappointed with the lack of vibrancy, so wondered if I might get feedback from you all on which oil colours are the best before I go spending a small fortune to get them shipped to New Zealand.

3 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:19am
post #2 of 4

I don't really know what to suggest if you don't like Americolor, which is what I would have suggested. Have you tried the powdered colours for chocolate? you *might* like those better, although when I've used oil based powder colour I found I had to stir the chocolate FOREVER before the colour would dissolve properly, to get rid of the little 'specks'

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 4

The powder based colours are reputed not to be as bright. But I e-mailed the folk at the Whimsical Bakehouse who do a lot of vibrant coloured chocolate work, and they were kind enough to reply back to me with this (posting in case it's useful for someone else):

"At our bakery we use Chefmaster for all colors with the exception of sky blue, for which we use Wilton. Either of these brands work well. Chefmaster, however, comes in larger quantities. The Wilton colors come in rather small tubs that don't last that long."

I also asked Richard from baking arts (he does those amazing striped chocolate wrapped cakes), and he uses Americolor GEL based colours. However he uses modelling chocolate not straight chocolate, so that changes the game a bit.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 4

what about using the flo-coat with americolors

ETA: http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=12483&keyword=Related%20Items

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%