Monster Truck Cake...

Decorating By cakedoff Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm by sugalips

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, this is a new one for me (though after all these years, it's hard to believe) Does anyone have ANY feedback on making what the Mother of this kid calls a "Monster Jam Gravedigger birthday cake"? I believe she is looking for 3-D, not a sheet with pictures. Thanks, in advance, all!

8 replies
Mimi209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimi209 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 9

Here is one link (of many) for Grave Digger. Grave Digger is a team of monster jam trucks.
A toy Monster jam Grave digger truck can be puchased. Would a sheet cake with a "dirt arena" with all the jumps in it and a toy monster jam truck be what she is looking for?

http://www.frontrowking.com/Monster_Jam/grave_digger.html

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 9

I think she really wants an actual carved 3 dimensional truck

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 9

I was on ebay today looking for a pan and came accrossed this...it is just the 3D cruzer modified, but gives directions.You would need to decorate it with the grave digger design, or change it to fondant but it is a starting point. Thought it might help.

Bake and cool car, sheet cake and 6 cupcakes. Position car cake on board cut to width of cake and 1/2 in. longer at each end. Build up icing on front and back end of car to square off corners.

Ice windows and wheel areas smooth. Outline windows with tip 4. Trace lightning bolt pattern on both car doors with toothpick; outline with tip 4 and pipe in with tip 3. Overpipe wheel wells with tip 18 outlines. Cover car with tip 18 stars. Pipe tip 6 front grill and side panel lines; overpipe tip 2 lines on side panels. Attach 2 sugar wafers with icing to front of car for bumper; attach 2 smaller wafer pieces for bumper sides.

Cover front bumper with tip 2B lines, smooth if necessary with finger dipped in cornstarch. Pipe tip 10 outline bars and back bumper. Outline and pipe-in tip 4 front lights, back lights and back license plate. Pipe tip 3 lines on roof; add tip 8 outline luggage rack with tip 4 crossbars.

For roof lights, cover 2/3 of mini marshmallow with tip 4 in buttercream (pat smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch); leave one white end exposed to resemble light. Attach to car with icing. Print tip 4 name and pipe tip 4 decal on front grill.

Bevel ends of sheet cake by trimming sides to randomly measure 1 to 11/2 in. high. Cut cupcakes horizontally in half and attach randomly to cake top to create rugged terrain.

Generously ice cake with spatula; add brown sugar "gravel". Cut two hidden pillars to 4 in. high for back of car and cut two to 41/2 in. high for front of car; insert in cake. Position oval plate on hidden pillars to hold car. Cover pillars with icing, building up to blend with rugged terrain.

For car wheels, heat Chocolate Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing in microwave at 40% power for 20 to 30 seconds. Tint black; place 4 donuts on cooling grid over cookie sheet and cover with icing; reserve excess icing. Let dry on waxed paper-covered board. Pipe tip 3 outline treads with reserved icing.

Cut lollipop sticks to 3 in. lengths and insert into donut wheels to secure. Assemble cakes: Ice oval plate smooth; position car. Insert wheels on lollipop sticks under sides of car.

kathie-d Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 9

here is a picture

kathie-d Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 9

mmmmm....it won't let me attach the picture, but if you go to ebay and search monster truck cake pan you will see the image!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 9

I have one in my pictures, if you like it email me and I'll tell you how I did it.

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 9

I made a Grave Digger cake in November. To get the elevation, I used an idea from CakeMommyTX in this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-662744-monster.html+truck

For the tires, I just used large chocolate donuts, so I made sure the dowel length was the same height as the donuts. Good Luck!!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 9

Funny you should post this. I have a "Gravedigger" monster truck for a 4th birthday in 3 weeks and was going to ask myself! Great instructions. Thank you icon_biggrin.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%