Freezing Frosted Cupcakes

Baking By reginaherrin Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm by reginaherrin

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 3

I was just wondering if you can freeze cupcakes that are already iced. I have a wedding cupcake tower to do with a ton of cupcakes and I am just afraid I won't be able to ice and decorate all the cupcakes the day of the wedding since I don't want to refrigerated the cups. I have also wondered if you can freeze cakes that have been stacked and filled. Thanks for any info.

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 3

I tried this once as a test, but found that my buttercream ended up with lots of condensation on it. It mostly evaporated eventually though, however, I tried this with cupcakes with sprinkles on and the colour ran from the condensation.
I would test it in your freezer, in various types of containers, with various decorations, to see what works for you.
The flavour and texture of the cakes and buttercreams were not affected by the freezing process at all though.
I haven't ever frozen a torted and filled cake though I imagine it can be done, just make sure you have enough time to fully defrost it.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 3

Okay, thanks for the input. I don't want them decorated while being frozen though so I'm thinking I will try it and hope it work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%