How To Get Dark Brown Frosting With Out Using Chocolate?

Decorating By sarahkathryncakes Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 10:05pm by langranny

sarahkathryncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkathryncakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any suggestion on getting brown without using chocolate? I have done it in small batches before but Im concerned about making it taste funky. Thank you!

5 replies
LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6

I typically use cocoa powder to help lessen the amount of coloring needed to make brown or black.

I'm not sure if anyone else has any suggestions, but I think you will need to use all coloring to get the color you want. Black will help get it darker quicker instead of using a ton of brown.

sarahkathryncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkathryncakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 6

Im wondering If I use a little bit of cocoa powder If it will just darken it like I would like without making it chocolate frosting?

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 6

I usually make my own brown by mixing in red and green coloring together...it gives me a darker brown than I can get using a brown coloring alone. HTH icon_smile.gif

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 6

I was thinking you didn't want to use Cocoa powder (I had a cake once for a little girl who was allergic.)

I like the Hershey's dark cocoa powder and I think that will help, but I think you may still need to use some coloring. The more cocoa powder you use, the more chocolatey your frosting will be.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 6

If you have an airbrush, just airbrush the cake dark brown. Tint the frosting as brown as you can get it and then airbrush to get the surface really dark. Looks like dark chocolate...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%