Please Help! Just Need A Few Suggestions From You Pros!

Baking By shadylady23 Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm by shadylady23

shadylady23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadylady23 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 15

Okay Ladies,

Here's the deal. My daughters bday party is on the 30th. (a little less than two weeks away) I'm making a 1/4 sheet cake with a 6" round on top. I'm gonna try to make a rainbow and my little pony out of modeling chocolate. I've attempted to make the modeling chocolate ahead to make sure all seems okay. First attempt did not go so well (I used white chocolate chips), Second attempt I used the wilton candy melts, seems like I'm in the clear as far is it being pliable and able to work with. I did make a rainbow out of royal icing, but it cracked, so now I'm gonna try it with the modeling chocolate. ( I used oil based coloring so I think that's why it cracked when i tried to lift it)

Here's my question. I've never actually made a cake from scratch, but I do know from past experience that boxed cakes seem hard to decorate and frost because they're a bit crumbly and sag a bit when you put anything on them. I was wondering if you had any tried and true cake recipes that you rely on when doing a simple birthday cake? Any input would be awsome, I'm thinking of just doing the usually vanilla, or yellow or whatever.

I'm quite the newbie here, I've messed around with piping flowers and borders and stuff, with buttercreme and royal icing, but I've never actually applied any of this to making a cake. Last year I was getting ready to but then ended up admitted into the hospital so I never got the chance to do it.
Thanks so much in advance!!!!

14 replies
shadylady23 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 15

Also, if I already have the modeling chocolate made, how long in advance can I mold it before placing on the cake? Im assuming if it's in the fridge and cold it wouldn't really matter, but what do I know?.... icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 15

I do the vanilla buttermilk cake posted here (scroll down). It's moist and soft, but has a tight crumb. The blogger actually made a 4-tier wedding cake with it.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/project-wedding-cake-the-cake-is-baked/

imagenthatnj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 15

If the rainbow keeps on breaking, you could also make the rainbow a whole piece that you paint with the colors, as in here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_B6I5JxHLIzU/SZD76G2eAWI/AAAAAAAAAHU/9cQme0jEYKc/s1600-h/tortastiti,mateo+056.jpg

shadylady23 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 15

Cool thanks!! What is she talking about at the end when she says remove paper liners? I've never used liners, but again, I've only made from a box. Thanks for the quick reply!! icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 15

if you're having crumble issues when decorating, first coat your cake with a thin crumb coat. it may help to thin down a bit of your icing (either w/ liquid or by warming it up in the microwave). use that thinned icing to coat your cake with a shallow layer. this will lock in the crumbs and make the cake a little sturdier to work with. let that set (i like to firm it up in the fridge), then add a thicker later of icing on.

imagenthatnj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadylady23

Cool thanks!! What is she talking about at the end when she says remove paper liners? I've never used liners, but again, I've only made from a box. Thanks for the quick reply!! icon_smile.gif

She means to say: Remove the parchment paper.

When you prepare the pan, you use parchment paper to line it, so that the cake comes out in one piece.

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 15

I regularly use the durable 3D cake recipe, adjusting pudding and box mixes to the flavors I want to use. They are delish and moist, like boxed cake lovers love, but they are sturdy and hold up very well, i.e. May reception in the desert in Phoenix!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCaterer

I regularly use the durable 3D cake recipe, adjusting pudding and box mixes to the flavors I want to use. They are delish and moist,

Ditto!!! thumbs_up.gif

shadylady23 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 15

What about molding the modeling chocolate in advance? How far ahead is good? Thank you all so much!!

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 15

you should do it in advance. I made mine 2 weeks before I needed it then made my chili peppers a week before and stored them in a gift/shirt box on bubblewrap.

get the chocolate wafers/melts in the color you want and melt in microwave 1-1 1/2 minutes, then add 1/4 cup corn syrup. stir til thickening and then pour out onto wax paper. let cool completely then wrap in the wax paper and put in a zip plastic bag. that's all there is to it

Alfiesmom Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 15

sorry i keep getting disconnected.

when you want to use it, break off a piece and shape it--the warmth of your hand will make it pliable. but don't get it too melty. then just stor i use a shirt/gift box with bubble wrap in it.
i sprayed mine with PAM when I was presenting the cake (NOT before)
(see my basket of chili peppers cake)
you'll do fine

shadylady23 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 15

What does the bubble wrap do? Just help insulate the bottom better or something? Sorry for my seemingly silly questions... lol

Alfiesmom Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 15

just to lay it on something. could be wax paper. depends if you want to hold a shape too, like when modeling with fondant that can be softer. i just have it so I use it.

also, your small cake round will be fine with a couple straws for support and a wrapped piece of cardboard (I did that on my daughter's graduation cake)

good luck

no question is silly

shadylady23 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm
post #15 of 15

Okay, so I think I'm gonna try that vanilla 3d cake recipe. Now, if I want a layer of frosting in the middle do I just cut the cake in half after it's cooled? Or should I just frost the top? I've heard of people freezing cakes to help them with moisture, should I do that with this recipe? Or just bake the day before or something? Also, when do I actually frost and decorate the cake? The day before? I'm getting so nervous that her party is getting so close, I hope I don't have another anxiety attack! (That's why I ended up in the hospital last year and her party got cancelled)

Thank you all! I made the rainbow a few days ago, it came out perfect!! Probably try the pony today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%