Tx Law- Home Kitchen In Commercial Space?

Business By schnumvf Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 1:54pm by scp1127

schnumvf Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 7

Yesterday I paid $3.25 for a cupcake. I still have sticker shock. (I realize that is normal but since I can bake I never thought I would pay that.... but I wanted to check out (potential) competition) icon_smile.gif
Anyway, while at the bakery I caught a glimpse of their kitchen. They had a regular home oven and a KA mixer. I couldn't see any more than that but already I thought that Texas didn't allow home kitchen appliances in a bakery? To my understanding everything needed to be commercial quality.

Texas bakers, help please. Whats the deal - this could make a huge difference on opening my own place.

6 replies
kelleym Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 7

Contact your local health department.

However, I do not believe the appliances must be commercial grade. The residental restriction applies to using your home's kitchen, not home-type appliances.

sweetcakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:47am
post #3 of 7

The only appliance that i know of that needs to be commercial grade would be a dishwasher.

cakesdivine Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #4 of 7

The equipment does not have to be commercial in Texas, just cannot use your own home kitchen. Both my storefronts that I had used residential equipment except for the 3 sink system and the grease trap. Passed inspections with flying colors.

scp1127 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:50am
post #5 of 7

I'm not in Texas, but I prefer residential ovens in my commercial kitchen. Maybe one day I will regret this, but I can always add acommercial oven. A kitchenaid double with both convection is about $2400.00. I liked the way my home oven baked (that oven does NO wrong) and I could not find one that would guarantee me the same results.

cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I'm not in Texas, but I prefer residential ovens in my commercial kitchen. Maybe one day I will regret this, but I can always add acommercial oven. A kitchenaid double with both convection is about $2400.00. I liked the way my home oven baked (that oven does NO wrong) and I could not find one that would guarantee me the same results.

Totally understand. My residential oven is a very large convection oven that is just shy of being able to hold a full sheet pan, but I get so few orders of those that it does not matter. I actually prefer making 4 quarter sheets to make my fullsheet cakes than using a full or even 2 half sheets. Just easier to handle IMHO. The current commercial kitchen that I rent has 3 large residential convection ovens...2 are stacked and installed in the wall. The 3rd is part of the stove. I can bake 72 cupcakes in each oven at once so 216 cupcakes all at once. or 24 quarter sheets or 36 8" rounds using all 3 ovens. My other oven is in storage waiting once more to be in a shop icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7

cakesdivine, we have the exact same setup. And for now, three ovens is enough. I too like the half sheet pans because all of my baking is made-to-order and I don't make large orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%