Question On Mixing Time And Speed

Baking By yupi Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm by valeo75

yupi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yupi Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 2

I just bought a hand mixer last month, and I was wondering..

most (if not all) of the recipes' mixing time and speed that I found are based on standing mixer.. like today, I made a cake with a method where we dump all dry ingredients with the butter and half the milk and mix on med for 4 mins then add the liquid ingredients 1/3 at a time and mixing on med for 2 mins on each addition, sounds easy, right? well, at first I thought it was easy, since I've only baked for 2-3 times icon_biggrin.gif..

anyway, the problem lies on the finished batter, the picture of the batter I saw on the blog, where I got the recipe from (2 blogs actually), looks fluffy and creamy, it seems like a batter that must be scooped into a baking pan, but mine was more like liquid, it's very pourable.. so, I was wondering, does mixing with hand mixer changes the batter so much or is it I'm too untalented and stupid to even do a simple mixing?

do I have to change the mixing time and speed when using a hand mixer (if yes, please teach me icon_cry.gif)? thanks in advance for any help and information thumbs_up.gif

PS: I baked too late and I was so confused and sad when I saw the batter, so after I baked it, I wrapped it well and put it in the freezer for tomorrow, so I don't know how it turns out yet (won't be good I guess.. icon_redface.gif)

1 reply
valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 2

Yupi, there is no stupid in baking, only those of us who get smarter from trying! icon_wink.gif

The type of mixer should not make much of a difference. A hand mixer with wisk attachments and a stand mixer with wisk attachments should all mix the same.

Two things to check are your technique and your measurements. Once I did my math wrong and added almost double the flour ( had a lot of interruptions from a 4 yr old, lol) needless to say I could have held my bowl upside down and the cake batter would have stayed put!

Make sure you are following the mixing instructions and that you are measuring correctly. If you try again and still the same problem, there is also the possibility that the recipe just isn't good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%