Yet Another Post About Pricing ;)

Decorating By StephsCakes72 Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm by TexasSugar

StephsCakes72 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all!

I will be moving into a rented cake studio on Feb. 1. I started caking in May of 2010. I know may be a bit fast, but I wanted to make things legal before I really started taking orders.

Since I've been creating cakes for family and friends, I'm unsure about pricing. I have included 2 pictures of cakes that I've done for family!!! What would you charge for a cake similar to the Cars cake? (I do understand that I will not be making this exact cake for paying customers due to copyright issues) Also for the roses hand painted cake? It is a 10-7 cake. I am based out of Philadelphia.

Thank you in advance for your time.

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 6
StephsCakes72 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you TexasSugar! Much appreciated. I think I also wanted some type of feedback on quality of work as well. I've seen individuals charge the same thing...for a similar product...but it appeared that the skill levels were not the same.

Thank you again. I've been reading over the post in between cakes! icon_smile.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #4 of 6

That rose cake is just so pretty. They are both very nice and in my opinion warrent a higher price per serving.

StephsCakes72 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you QTCakes! icon_smile.gif I struggle with the pricing of hand painted cakes. I don't see a lot of discussion on that topic especially.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 6

I think hand painted cakes can be very pretty, like yours.

I think for pricing them you have to consider how much time it took you to do it. Does it take longer than doing any other decoration? Such as a basketweave or piping a ton of roses to cascade down the side? If it doesn't really take any longer then I'm not sure I'd add a charge for it. If you do alot of cakes that have it, then I'd factor that into the over all price per serving amount you come up with.

To me craved/scuplted cakes, or cakes that have alot of gumpaste flowers are really the only things that I feel warrant a different price.

But it the end if you have a cake that design takes a little more time to make, and then have 5 quick and easy cakes, then you end up making more money on the quick and easy (since you won't spend as much of your labor time as you factor in) and that makes up for the cakes that do take a little longer to make. That goes along the lines of pricing your ingredients off the regular prices, even if you stock up when everything is on sale. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%