What Color Is Red Velvet If No Red Is Added

Decorating By bakencake Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm by bakencake

bakencake Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

Im thinking of making a red velvet cake from the cake Dr. starting with a white cake mix and adding chocolate. My question is what color would it turn out if I didnt put so much red? I was thinking of maybe putting in a little or maybe putting in some pink and calling it pink velvet since i know that the color does not make much of a difference in taste. thanks

5 replies
genevieveyum Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

I tried this last night! I wanted a pink velvet, but with the cocoa, it can't really be pink- it was a burgundy color. I used 1/2 the called for red coloring. Perhaps if I'd used pink gel it would have been pinker, but really the cocoa makes it brown enough that I can't see getting it pink. I'd love to hear from folks who do this- I've heard of people doing green velvet for St Patty's and other colors as well. Do they just call it this but leave out the cocoa?

Minstrelmiss Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 6

I've seen blue velvet and it was LOVELY! Christmas theme with silver dragees and white snowflake...

genevieveyum Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

Did the blue velvet still have the cocoa in it?

Minstrelmiss Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 6

I believe so, the baker followed her red velvet recipe but added blue instead of red. I have been looking for the pic, I'll let you know if I find it. thumbs_up.gif

bakencake Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys! I have a hard time putting that much color into the cake. just trying to get away with putting less color and calling it pink icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%