What Color Is Red Velvet If No Red Is Added

Decorating By bakencake Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm by bakencake

bakencake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

Im thinking of making a red velvet cake from the cake Dr. starting with a white cake mix and adding chocolate. My question is what color would it turn out if I didnt put so much red? I was thinking of maybe putting in a little or maybe putting in some pink and calling it pink velvet since i know that the color does not make much of a difference in taste. thanks

5 replies
 genevieveyum  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

I tried this last night! I wanted a pink velvet, but with the cocoa, it can't really be pink- it was a burgundy color. I used 1/2 the called for red coloring. Perhaps if I'd used pink gel it would have been pinker, but really the cocoa makes it brown enough that I can't see getting it pink. I'd love to hear from folks who do this- I've heard of people doing green velvet for St Patty's and other colors as well. Do they just call it this but leave out the cocoa?

Minstrelmiss  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 6

I've seen blue velvet and it was LOVELY! Christmas theme with silver dragees and white snowflake...

genevieveyum  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

Did the blue velvet still have the cocoa in it?

Minstrelmiss  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 6

I believe so, the baker followed her red velvet recipe but added blue instead of red. I have been looking for the pic, I'll let you know if I find it. thumbs_up.gif

bakencake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys! I have a hard time putting that much color into the cake. just trying to get away with putting less color and calling it pink icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%