Curious About Different Ganache Flavors

Baking By kdbohm Updated 17 Apr 2014 , 12:08pm by Danilou

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:24am
post #1 of 41

I've made chocolate ganache many times and did attempt white chocolate ganache once. After it failed, that's when I looked it up to find the white chocolate takes almost twice as much as chocolate. Lesson learned.

I had another random thought today about trying different flavors, which is probably old news to most everyone! With butterscotch, peanut butter, cinnamon chips, etc.......would these take the same amount of chocolate, or do they require more like the white chocolate?????

I did a search on here and found nice pictures of cupcakes dipped in a butterscotch ganache, which stated they just mixed it until it looked right!

I am not much of an "until it looks right" person until I've made it a few times and have an idea of what the looks right should look like!

Anyone have a base amount to start out with for the ratio of chips to cream?

40 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:58am
post #2 of 41

oh...sounds yummy! Butterscotch and peanut butter...I am so hoping somebody has an answer for you!!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:58am
post #3 of 41

oh...sounds yummy! Butterscotch and peanut butter...I am so hoping somebody has an answer for you!!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:37am
post #4 of 41

I make all kinds of ganache. Most of the different "flavours" are based on the white chocolate style of ganache, and from that point, you need to assess whether what you are adding is a solid or a liquid, and then adjust the chocolate content accordingly.

Therefore, when I make strawberry ganache, I add pureed strawberries and strawberry oil to my white ganache. Hence I need to add MORE white chocolate to counter-act the liquefying effect of the strawberries.

When I have made a 'nutella' flavoured (my hazelnut-chocolate ganache) I make a milk choc ganache and stir in a few big TBSP nutella. As nutella is softer than ganache, I add in a little bit extra chocolate. This would also be the same for peanut butter.

When I have made choc-mint ganache, I add a few drops of peppermint and spearmint oil, and then crumble up several mint crisp bars and stir it through when the ganache has cooled but not set. I don'ty modify the ganache recipe at all in this case, as the mint crisp bars are solid and dry, and a few drops of oil are neither here nor there.

Its true - you need to experiemnt a bit and get comfortable with your ganaches. I don't ever work from a recipe when it comes to modified ganache recipes. But the standard ratios are used as a base point, and I modify it from there.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:56am
post #5 of 41

Evoir -
The strawberry ganache sounds divine. Would you mind sharing approximate amounts of the ingredients? I absolutely adore strawberry anything!

And for the PB ganache, do you add the PB to white ganache or regular chocolate ganache?

Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:09am
post #6 of 41

Jamielc - I basically wash, dry and hull a punnet of strawberries (250grams) and puree them. You can leave it in a muslin-lined seive overnight to eliminate additional water if you like. Make your white ganache to a 4:1 ratio starting with 800 grams (or more - it does depend on the wateriness of your strawberries) of white choc and 200grams of cream, and when it has cooled (not set firmly), stir through the strawberry puree, and then 3 drops of strawberry oil, or essence. It will be a natural strawberry pale colour, so add a couple drops of red or pink colour if you prefer that (I don't).

I have used this as a cake filling, but mostly I use it for my strawberry macarons! Its delicious (I love anything strawberry too!)

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:09am
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Therefore, when I make strawberry ganache, I add pureed strawberries and strawberry oil to my white ganache. Hence I need to add MORE white chocolate to counter-act the liquefying effect of the strawberries.

what is strawberry oil?

Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:46am
post #8 of 41

Its an oil-based strawberry essence. You use it for chocolate-making, as water or alcohol based would seize the chocolate.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 8:33am
post #9 of 41

Mmmm...
I wonder if any of these alternative ganache flavors work for spreading on a cake that's meant to be covered with fondant?

Evoir...is the strawberry oil Lorann's?

Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:44am
post #10 of 41

The one I use isn't Lorann's (I'm in Australia) but I assume they would have it in their range. Its not essential - I just use oils in tiny amounts to blend out my flavours.

And yes - if you are not adding chunks, you can use it underneath fondant. I do this with all my mudcake varieties, in complementing flavours.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 41

I just made several batches of Peanut Butter ganache for my Basket of Chili Peppers cake, using Buddy's Cake Boss recipe and Reese's chips and it was perfect. I assume the butterscotch chips would work similarly.
I would shy away from using any 'candy' and stay safe with the 'chips' sold for this purpose.

recipe:
1 cup heavy cream
9 oz. chips
1 tbsp light corn syrup

the mint sounds divine. I can't wait to try that.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 41

You can also add liqueurs or extracts after mixing the cream and chocolate together. Start with 2 tablespoons for each half cup of heavy cream, adding more or less to taste. icon_biggrin.gif Your ganache can be as creative and tasty as you would like thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 41

Thank you for the great information, everyone...
I had never even considered anything but plain chocolate or white chocolate when using ganache under fondant.

(I'm not a fan of Lorann's aftertaste anyway, so I'll look into other brands).

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 41

i was thinking about using ANDES MINTS to make ganache (you know, those lovely little chocolate candies with the green mint middle). is there any reason i couldn't use these in ganache with the same recipe i would use for regular chocolate ganache?

diane

SCNYCharlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCNYCharlie Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 41

I just completed a chocolate making class, and the chef had us making all different kinds of ganache and we made an andes mint ganache it was soooo good! you make it the same way you make a regular ganache. thumbs_up.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #16 of 41

thank you! it sounds so good to me!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 41

This is my recipe for White Chocolate Strawberry ganache.......

White Chocolate Strawberry ganache
Ingredients
1 12 oz. Package white chocolate chips
8 oz. heavy whipping cream, scalded
1 Tbs. of softened butter
1/2 package Strawberry or Raspberry jello ( I would think any flavor of your choosing would do )
Instructions
1. Pour white chips into medium sized bowl. ( I use metal because it seems to hasten the cooling process.

1.2. Heat 8 oz. of heavy whipping cream to the boiling point.
2.3.Pour cream and sprinkle about 1/2 package of jello ( your choice) over chips. Let stand for a couple of minutes, then stir until chips are melted.
3.4. Place bowl into refrigerator until cooled and thickened ( can be placed in freezer if you are in a hurry.
4.5. Whip with mixer until thick and fluffy enough to spread between cake layers..

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 41

Thanks, Evoir for sharing your strawberry ganache tips!

And thanks to everyone else as well for offering up suggestions. I've only made ganache a handful of times in the last few months, but I'm definitely going to be experimenting now that I have all these wonderful ideas!

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 41

These all sound so good! I wish I had some flavor/idea to share but I don't. Maybe there are more flavor ideas out there? So open to trying new things.
Thanks to the OP and all who posted!!

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 8:54pm
post #20 of 41

Thanks for all the information! I love anything mint and sounds great! The Andes mints would definitely be worth a try!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 41

I've used Andes mint as a ganache, just like plain chocolate. It was awesome. icon_smile.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:36pm
post #22 of 41

Andes mint ganache sounds delicious. But beware of alternatives: Years ago, I made a delicious chocolate-mint fudge. Turns out green mint chips + brown chocolate chips + yellowish butter and sweetened condensed milk = an awful greenish-brown color. It looked like an unhealthy bowel movement...but it tasted great!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:23pm
post #23 of 41

EWWWEEE........ icon_eek.gif

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:32pm
post #24 of 41

These sound amazing! Have you used fruit other than strawberries? Like raspberries? Any ideas for a lemon ganache? Are you refrigerating the cakes because of the fruit?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:53pm
post #25 of 41

What a great thread!! I didn't see, but has anyone made a butterscotch ganache with the butterscotch chips? I'm wondering how it turned out and was the ratio 2:1 or 3:1?

Karen421 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:00am
post #26 of 41

I do raspberry all the time! With butterscotch it would probably be a 3 to 1 ratio, similar to white chocolate or milk chocolate, but that is just a guess.

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:26am
post #27 of 41

Worth a try. Thanks for sharing.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I do raspberry all the time! With butterscotch it would probably be a 3 to 1 ratio, similar to white chocolate or milk chocolate, but that is just a guess.

Would you share how you do the raspberry??

Karen421 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:12am
post #29 of 41

Oh gosh - Raspberry is my favorite so I have tried raspberries several ways. I sometimes just add raspberry liqueur, or if I really want the extra raspberry, I will add fresh or frozen raspberry either directly into the ganache after it is smooth or fold in after I whip it. Or I have placed a layer raspberries (or strawberries) in between ganache or used seedless raspberry jam and layered that with ganache. (I really like ganache!) icon_biggrin.gif

The picture below (if it shows up) is ganache with strawberries, but it's the same with raspberries.

Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:21am
post #30 of 41

Yes, I do the same with other berries. You just need to be careful of blending it in and maintaining the correct density you need for whatever you are making.

Other ideas that work really well are adding fruit preserves, or adding dehydrated berries (crushed or in pieces). Citrus flavours are done by adding fine zest and extracts to white chocolate ganache.

I have also made pouring ganache in several flavours for clients who don't like fondant or buttercream.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%