Red Velvet Cake From A Box

Baking By lovescakes Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 3:18am by Sorelle

lovescakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:29am
post #1 of 7

anyone tried the Duncan Hines red velvet cake?? I need to make one this weekend and I don't want to do it from scrach, is it any good?

6 replies
andreamen1 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

I use it all the time i add an extra egg to make it more dense

mbark Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

it's not bad. I made cakeman raven's recipe last week & it was very good. that cake was for someone from the south so I dared not try a mix on them lol.

leily Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 7

i'm one that doesn't mind mixes, but RV is one mix that i will not use. That is one that i always make from scratch b/c the box doesn't come close imo

simplysouthern Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 7

I'm Southern and we can tell the difference. That being said, most people don't have RV enough to know if its a mix Sino say go for it!! Try cake doctors RV, she has one that I've used for my husbands police squad Christmasbparty every year....its requested every year! I make it with white chocolate peppermint bc and Ohhh myyy yummy!!

Kitagrl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #6 of 7

I use DH red velvet mix with chocolate pudding in it....I don't like red velvet but it tastes fine to me and so far everyone who has ordered it really likes it. Homemade cream cheese filling of course.

Sorelle Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #7 of 7

RV and the butter pecan flavor mix are the only two box mixes I refuse to use, I think they taste funky, even after expanding with pudding and/or sour cream etc...wish I could find a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%